27 September 2006

Odd?

Here I sit, at the computer, with a fleece blanket and a Slurpee. Does that seem odd to you?

But that's not what I sat down to say.

Several interesting things happened today, the first of which being - my piano lesson. My teacher gave me a little band pep talk, which cheered me up, and we tried unsuccessfully to get through my whole lesson. It didn't work. It never does. I did, however, show her my Davy Jones and Two Hornpipes PotC pieces, which she liked, and my Emma and Pride and Prejudice pieces, which she also liked. We took a quick look at Sonata in G major (Beethoven) but not a real long one, and then I sat down to do some quizzing outside while my sister had her lesson, which I'm afraid didn't go as well. I always feel bad for her, because I don't think she really likes piano that much even though she's obviously talented. She also super super SUPER sensitive to any type of criticism and my teacher will not hestitate to criticize you until there's not tomorrow. Which is the mark of a good music teacher, but not really very good for my sister. Anyway, I never know what to say, because I'm quite different from her and I don't really experience it the way she does.

Band was awesome, I had a really good time. We got a new piece called Early One Morning in which I get to play tambourine, triangle and crash cymbals (yay) and I'm going to do two duets at the Christmas concert with our main percussionist, whose name is Dylan. He's autistic. They're a song from the Muppets and Accidentally in Love from Shrek. So that was pretty cool. We rehearsed Cold Snap, which was SO awesome because I have a piano part and it sounds really good, especially with the saxes. Thankfully, we did not rehearse Air For Band, which I am not very good at, or Modal Song and Dance, which I am okay at but not real good. I also learned that we actually have an imbalance of high instruments to low, not low instruments to high as I had originally thought. So I need to rethink some of those piano parts, to make it so that I play more low stuff. The director brought a keyboard for me this time, which was good except that the chair was too low and the keyboard was too high, so I had to sit on my knees, which isn't the best posture for playing. I also learnt, to my annoyance, that a piano is considered part of the percussion in a band. I mean, please. Can you have a career playing the triangle? No. Can you have a career playing piano? Definetely. All our trumpets are guys and they goof around a bit.

On a bit of a more serious note, we went to McDonald's for supper today (that's not the serious thing, even though I don't really like McDonald's) and I read in the newspaper an article about a 20-year-old woman who got sentenced to ten years in jail for murdering her newborn baby. First, let me point out the inconsistencies here. So, you can get sentenced to ten years in jail for killing your newborn baby, but if you'd had an abortion a DAY earlier, not only would you have gotten off scot-free but the government would have paid for it. Does anyone else see something radically wrong there? As you should be able to tell by reading this, I am rabidly (okay, not rabidly, um...avidly) pro-life and I think all that pro-choice stuff is...ahem...how 'bout I don't finish that statement. How is it okay to murder a baby, whether it's inside a woman or not? How is that baby not a person? How come one day it's free to kill a baby and the next day, apparently after it's been born and is officially a person, you can be sentenced to ten years in prison? Can SOMEONE in society make sense of this whole pro-choice worldview? Because I think it's a feeble attempt at justifying something that can't be justified, by people who are too ashamed to own up to their mistakes. Pretty soon it'll be legal to suffocate a two-year-old because they stole your last chocolate bar. Pathetic.

Sorry. Got ranting there. I could have gone on for a long while yet, but I won't.

~Sil

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell me if your sister doesn't start feeling better when you visit. Maybe I can give her a pep talk. I'm fairly good at those.