11 September 2006

New week

It's Monday. Monday is always slightly depressing, because it's the first school day of the week, but it's okay usually. And I did get to use my new microscope today, which was kinda fun - I looked at thread and hair and stuff under it on slides and then I got to use this cool blue methylene chloride stuff to see cells from the inside of my sister's mouth. Pretty neat. So science took a while today, and there's still almost everything else that needs doing - though I did do quizzing earlier this morning, and I don't need to do it again until later.

Oh - and at 7:30 this morning I started my new babysitting job, which was pretty cool - I basically walk over there at around 7:25 and hang out with the kids (a girl and a boy, maybe 10 and 7) until 8:15, when they leave for school. I also make sure they have their lunches and all the school stuff they need, and I'll go back at 3:30 to stay with them until 5 when their mom gets home. I can't believe I'm getting PAID for this! $20 per day! And the really upsetting thing is - my mom has started talking about paying TAX. Yes. Tax. And I'm fifteen. Something seem wrong there to you? Yeesh, a girl starts making some money and all of a sudden they want me to pay TAX!

A new guy, from Saskatchewan, is moving to Edmonton and he's gonna be on our quiz team. He's in grade 12, and he sounds nice - it must be hard to move to a new school and a new church (heck, he's in a new PROVINCE) in grade 12. Anyway, it'll be nice meeting him - and he went to Internationals! As in, competition from ALL OVER the US and Canada! So he's going to be on our A team, with me and some others. I'm not sure how that's going to work, since teams are composed of three or four people and we're going to have five A quizzers. I don't really think anyone wants to sub, either. But I'm sure it'll work out.

Anyway, the first quiz practice yesterday went really well. The rookies went off to do their own thing while the rest of us practiced, and near the end our pastor and youth pastor came in with a Happy Approx 16th Year of Quizzing cake. Nobody knew how long our church had been doing quizzing so they estimated. It was quite funny, seeing "Approx" on a cake. But it was very sweet of them. After that we left before the service ended to take Dad to the airport. So he's gone now - but we know he got off the plane all right, because he used his roommate's cell phone to call us. He's getting his own cell phone today.

Gotta finish school before 3:30 because I'm babysitting and going to Mike's tonight. At least, I think I am. Assuming it's okay with my mom.

~Sil

No comments: