20 August 2006

Full Day

Whew! So much happened today! We left for church at 10, and I met my friend's cousins (who look very alike, it was hard to remember who was who) and they were very nice. I sat with the youth, as usual, and they did silly things like pretend they were detonating bombs inside the church and such. The sermon was about Psalm 42, I believe.
I also discovered the life span of a candy-machine Peek-A-Pooh collectible. The first one I ever got broke this morning, so that makes their life span about a year. Not bad, for a little toy that cost two bucks.
And I got a belated birthday present! A day calendar, Lord of the Rings themed, from Daniel Senior! Yay! I really like it, it made my day. As did other articles I acquired, but that comes later.

Then we made a brief stop at home to drop off everyone except me and my mom at about 12:15, and the two of us went shopping. First we went to Jacob Outlet, because I got a gift certificate for there for my birthday from one of my friends (I love you, by the way!) and I got a pair of black cords and two shirts in the same style, one pink and one green. I was especially thrilled about the cords, because I have an inordinately hard time finding pants. I currently have one semi-fitting pair of jeans and two pair of cords as well as dress pants, and that's about it. Then we searched around for shoes, and found a pair after a while at Winners. I actually have a very interesting story about that particular purchase.

Ahem. Well. We went into Winners and found the shoe department, which had a pretty good selection on the type of shoe I wanted, which were sort of runners that doubled as casual winter shoes. I was a bit puzzled because it seemed like the selection was good, but none of the ones I liked were in my size. I discovered the reason for this when I rounded a corner to go into the next aisle and an Oriental girl about my age was sitting on one of those shoe-trying-on bench thingies, with this MOUND of shoes beside her. I am dead serious, it was an extremely good-sized pile.
She was mostly paying attention to this pair of greeny-blue shoes, so I picked up a shoe off the pile and tried it on. My mom was about ten feet away, watching, and I looked up to tell her I really liked this one, and looked around for the next one. The girl had picked it up, and her and her mom, who was also standing a couple feet away, were looking at me with this affronted expression on their faces, and the mom was talking to her daughter very fast in Chinese. So I realized that she obviously considered me to be intruding on her shoe selection and moved away, giving my mom a what-was-with-that-and-why-does-she-need-all-those-shoes sort of look (looks can be very eloquent and she knew exactly what I meant).
But I really liked those shoes! I really did! I couldn't pull myself away! So, being the unassertive personalities we are, my mom and I lurked around, sort of spying on this mom and her daughter while they took AGES and AGES to pick a stupid pair of shoes! They must have taken half an hour! I was so worried they'd taken the pair I wanted, so as soon as they left I sort of swooped in and dug through the pile to find them.
They were at the very bottom, and this made me kind of mad, because obviously the girl hadn't really wanted them, so why was she so offended when I tried them on? She had probably 20 pairs of shoes there!
Anyway, I loved them, and me and my mom split the cost, which was $50. They're sort of mini-runners, and they're black suede with two red stripes on the sides. They're Aerosole, which means they're SUPER comfy, and I can't wait for winter to start so I can wear them!
And even though I was annoyed...spying on those two was the most fun I had all day!

After that we went to a barbecue for a young adult in our church who went on a missions trip to Slovakia. She showed pictures and answered some questions and we had hamburgers.

I'm pretty exhausted! But I'm so elated that I got shoes and pants!

~Sil

P.S. Thank you for your comments on my story, guys!

1 comment:

Calminaiel said...

Oh, shopping...that's always a good thing to do every once in a while...keeps you healthy...=)