04 December 2006

O come, all ye faithful...

Our church went out to Camp Nakamun yesterday, for the afternoon and evening. It was fun - I didn't actually do much besides play a few games (and it's maddening to try and play game with more than three people - everybody always runs off in every direction and then three turns in they decide they're bored and they want to go swimming) but it was still fun. There's a swimming pool there, and sometimes we skate but the lake wasn't frozen enough this year, and we sang carols after supper, which I always like. Mr Chute was sort of directing it, which meant that he tried to get kids/youth to come up and sing with him. Nobody did (they were all chickens) except me and Carissa and a little girl, Molly. I did God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen. I was so tired by the time we drove home, but I had Pirates on the discman and I hijacked Dad's Blackberry. It takes a long time to do anything on Arwen-Undomiel with the Blackberry so I think I spent about an hour doing that.

The reason I was tired...I babysat until 1:30 am Saturday evening. I snacked, and read my book, and did some quizzing, but by the time midnight hit I was pretty tired, so I basically kept myself awake after that. I'm not sure how. I did get paid pretty well, though.

So, my brother is sick today....which means everybody's had it, I think, except me and my dad. Hopefully I don't catch it.

Edited to add: Oh, and as an aside, I happen to have won a contest today. It was a poetry contest on Arwen-Undomiel (see the link on the right side of the page) and actually, the poem was written for a different contest which is currently being judged but that I'm hoping to place in as well. It was a sonnet contest, which is why the poem is structured the way it is. Anyway, I thought I'd post it. It's about Lothlorien.

Where once hobbit feet had trod
Under the fading mallorn's golden leaves
From journey over land abroad
They stopped for briefest of reprieves.

Where once a dwarven axe had rested
In soaring Elven city bright
Minds and hearts and souls arrested
A refuge still from Lands of Night.

Where now leaves fall into the water
Ripples spreading outward still
What could be called fair Valinor's daughter
Lothlorien, the Elven realm tranquil.

Still here in Lorien, lingering in silent praise
Still here are wistful memories of better, brighter days.

~Sil

No comments: