28 May 2007

William Turner

I'm pretty sure you all knew Will would have to come after Jack (and Elizabeth will get her own post, but there'll be a lot of her in this one as well). I'm just too much of a Will fan. Anyway, Will in this particular Pirates movie should have, once and for all, laid the theory that he's 'just a pretty face' to rest. Will does nearly as much conniving as Jack here, and in my humble opinion he's pretty brilliant.

So the movie starts with Elizabeth and Barbossa in Singapore, going to see Sao Feng (Pirate Lord of the South China Sea) to beg a crew off him. At the same time Will was supposed to be stealing a certain collection of charts from Sao Feng's uncle. So they go in to see Sao Feng and discover unpleasantly that Will has been captured in the act of doing so. This sorta morphs into a full-fledged battle between Singaporeans and our characters and eventually the EITC, in which Will (if you'll pardon the expression) kicks some serious butt. Even without a sword.

So they get away with the charts and go off to World's End, now that they know how to get there, to find Jack. Somehow they end up with a Singaporean crew, but I forget how it was. Somebody enlighten me if you know. Here lies the first W/E scene. Will to Elizabeth: "How long do we continue not talking?" Elizabeth responds with something along the lines of, "Once we rescue Jack everything will be all right." I could have kicked her right here. If Will thinks she loves Jack, that line's sure not going to convince him otherwise. Anyway, they get to World's End, rescue Jack, dum de dum - oh, and I forgot a Jack quote here. He says it to Will. "Will you tell me something? Have you come because you need my help to save a certain distressing damsel? Er... rather damsel in distress? Either one." To which the answer is obviously no, as Elizabeth is there with him.

So they sail back, during which time the second W/E scene happens. And I can't remember the exact lines, but it goes something like this:
Will: Why didn't you tell me? [that she'd chained Jack to the Pearl, and only kissed him so she could do so]
Elizabeth: It wasn't your burden to bear
Will: But I did anyway, didn't I? Elizabeth, I thought...
Elizabeth: You thought I loved him
[Here she makes as if to go but he puts his hands on her shoulders and pushes her against the post behind them. To interject, this is unusual behavior for Will, and it made me very slightly uneasy, but not much]
Will: How can I trust you if you make your decisions alone?
Elizabeth [on the verge of tears]: You can't

Yeah, I maybe cried here for the first time. I can't remember. It was sad, anyway. And there a scene later where Will says, "I need the Pearl to save my father. That's the only reason I came on this voyage." And Elizabeth goes, "Why didn't you tell me?" and Will replies, "It wasn't your burden to bear." Which made me sad, to see them at odds like that.

And really, as you could anticipate, the movie goes a little foggy for me at this point so the next Will scene I remember is him in the cabin of the Endeavor (Beckett's ship) drinking tea and negotiating with Beckett and Davy. I don't remember any of the dialogue except:
Davy: [smashes cup]
Will: ...I wasn't finished that.

Then he gets thrown in the brig somehow (something to do with why he came on the voyage, Jack's mad at him) and has a discussion with Jack later. It starts with Jack: "You escaped the brig quicker than I thought you would." That was sort of funny. At the moment Will is tying dead bodies to barrels and letting them loose for Beckett to follow (it was part of the deal) so Jack and Will have a very interesting discussion that boils down to a deal: Jack stabs the heart, Will and Elizabeth live happily ever after, and Will's father is freed. I liked this plan until Jack shoved Will off the deck of the Pearl, which didn't do much for my faith in him.

Movie goes foggy again, and I'm sure there's another Will scene, but next one I remember is the battle. BEST MARRIAGE SCENE EVER. I wouldn't say I want to get married like this, but it would be amazing.
Will: Will you marry me?
Elizabeth: [fighting a battle] I don't think now's the best time!
Will: Now may be the only time! I love you. I made my choice. What's yours?
Elizabeth: Barbossa!
[Will looks confused]
Elizabeth Swann [cont'd]: Marry us!
I almost died of happiness. Barbossa is suitably incredulous but starts marrying them anyway, while all three of them are fighting, and Will and Elizabeth sorta continue it.
Will: Elizabeth Swann, do you take me as your husband?
Elizabeth: I do!
Will: ...great!
[interject with some awesome fighting]
Elizabeth: William Turner, do you take me to be your wife, in sickness and in health, health being the less likely?
Will: I do!
Barbossa: You may kiss...
[fighting]
Barbossa: You may now kiss...
[fighting]
Barbossa: Just kiss!
So they do! One of the best kisses ever, besides the W/E one on the beach at the end. I was really amazingly happy at this part until Will got stabbed later. I'm pretty sure I gasped or something at that point and burst into tears, while Elizabeth is panicking and Jack is holding the heart about to stab it, looking stupefied. Davy's laughing maniacally or something, but next thing you know Jack's beside dying Will using his hand to stab the heart. Cried even harder here. I sorta knew that was coming, I don't know how, but I was sad. Then Bootstrap goes, "The Dutchman must always have a Captain!" and the Dutchman dives, but as it does so you can see Bootstrap poised to cut out Will's heart. How he did this to his SON, we don't know, and it begs the question: Davy cut his heart out because he didn't want to feel emotion, right? But Will's got no problem with feeling emotion, so why couldn't he keep his heart?

Maybe so that they could put in the next awesome Will line: "It's always been yours. Will you keep it safe?" as he hands the chest (with the heart) to Elizabeth. This is after they've spent a day on the beach (Will's one day that he has before sailing for ten years) doing...what married people do. Will the 3rd is ostensibly created here. And then - best kiss ever! In front of the sunrise...I was still crying...and then Will sails off to not see Elizabeth again for ten years.

Now, if you wait until after the credits, there's a scene with Elizabeth and a boy about nine years old walking to the edge of a cliff over a beach. They see the green flash, a phenomenon that happens when the sun sets and signifies a soul returning from the land of the dead - and then Will sailing in on the Dutchman. Happily ever after - a little long in coming, but it still happened!

*Sniffle*

Makes me happy.

~Sil

Jack: You take the shore party, I'll stay with my ship
Barbossa: I'm not leavin' you alone with my ship
Will: Why don't you both go ashore and I'll look after the ship
[both look at him]
Will: Temporarily

2 comments:

Calminaiel said...

Very nice post. I rather liked it. My turn. =)

First of all, I slightly disagree with the fact that Will 'once and for all' laid to rest the theory that he's just a pretty face. Don't get me wrong, I love him to death, and he totally kicked butt, etc, etc. But at the same time...well, with all the profile shots you get of him, espcially at the end, you can still kinda see that being a side purpose. Maybe more like a bonus purpose. Anyways, moving on.

I think they got the crew because Jack made some sort of deal with them...or they were getting slightly overwhelmed by EITC, so Will said they needed to leave, and the crew just agreed, and happened to have a ship...=P. Something like that I think. And geez, I don't know how Elizabeth could have replied like that to Will's first line there...I mean, if some guy who loved me came up to me and said that exactly the way he did, I'd completely melt...I love him so much...=P

And then she was horrible again! 'How can I trust you?' 'You can't.'
You can't?! You can't?! What kind of answer is that! Seriously, if I had some guy like Will saying that stuff to me, I'd be melting inside and swearing I'd never do it again! Geez, does she not realize how lucky she is to have that guy hanging off of her?!

And it did make me sad to hear Will bring back that burden line later...I'm like...noo, Will, don't hold grudges, pleease...=(

I must say, watching Will drink tea like that was, for some reasons, one of the most amusing scenes in the movie for me...=P

I actually did kind of have faith in Jack. I always do really, although sometimes it's questionable. Still. I'm sorry to say I did find him pushing Will off to be slightly amusing. And I also like when Jack says (something like): "So you asked yourself what I would do...and this is what you came up with?"

I dunno, I'm actually not opposed to the idea of getting married like that. lol.
I love Will's response..."...great!' lol.
Out of everybody in the movie, I must say I didn't expect Barbossa to marry Will and Elizbeth. I loved it.

I also wondered about the cutting out of his heart. I thought it was a Davy-only thing...at least, it seemed like he only did it because of his situation. Maybe they decided there needed to be a common denominater between Dutchman captains...=P

Hehe. Doing what married people do. Too true. *sigh*

And I missed that last scene, so thank you soo much for telling me! I shall have to be sure to see it when we get the DVD.

~Calminaiel~

Melda said...

*Takes a bow* Fankoos :)

Oh, I love Will as a pretty face. In fact I am an unashamed Will Turner fangirl. But as well as being a pretty face he's one darn brilliant pirate :)

I know, it was so sad to see them not getting along...though admittedly, Elizabeth looked like she really didn't want to say that line. Like I said, she looked on the verge of tears. And Will seemed sorta upset too.

Yes! Awesome Jack line! "It's like you don't know me at all!" And Barbossa had so many good lines too - he'll get his own post. I laughed when he gave them that incredulous look like, "Get married?! Now?!" I dunno, I rather visualized a more traditional marriage setting, without the danger of potentially getting stabbed at any given moment. It was to die for in the movie, though, I can't wait to watch that scene again!

I shall ask potr when she gets back on Friday. She knows EVERYTHING piratey, it's amazing, and she'll go off on a long tangent about why Will's heart couldn't stay where it belonged :P

You're welcome! Best scene ever, maybe you can find it on YouTube.

~Sil