17 May 2007

Musical Images

My piano teacher has assigned me a bit of an abstract project this week...I'm supposed to come up with stories/images/words that describe the pieces of music I'm playing in my exam. I have five I need to do, not counting Rohan, because it's a soundtrack piece and it automatically makes me think of Rohan and Edoras and Eowyn and the Golden Hall and all that good stuff. So:

Solfeggietto by C. P. E. Bach, List A: I don't have that much for this one, as it's basically scales and arpeggios put together in various minor keys and strewn all over the piano.

Sonata in G by Beethoven, List B: Sonatas in general are pretty happy pieces...I dunno, this one makes me think of flowers somehow, but that doesn't really seem to fit. It's got a lot of scales in it, too, and broken chords.

Puck by Edvard Grieg, List C: This one is sort of easy, as it's based off a mischievous little character who dances around causing trouble (odd...I have a couple siblings who would fit the bill) but I think I'll see if it reminds me of anything else before I go with that.

To The Rising Sun, Trygve Torjussen, List D: Again, not too hard, as the name basically says what it's about. Unlike things like Solfeggietto and Sonata in G.

Cappriccio, Handel, Study(1): Apparently 'Cappriccio' means joke or trick, but I'm thinking if it's a joke or trick it's a) a very serious joke that nobody laughs at or b) a nasty practical joke played by a little man in a mask who hums tunes in minor keys to himself while sneaking up behind people. Um. Don't mind me, I get weird images in my head. Actually, for this one I'm thinking it sounds sort of like a juggled who juggles a whole bunch of different things and colors while (heh) wearing a mask. Hey, it's my piece, I can think what I like about it.

EIGHT DAYS! (if you don't know what it's eight days till, you obviously don't read this with great regularity, know me very well, or listen to what I talk about for half my waking moments. So why are you reading this now?)

~Sil

"Slander and calumny!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

she didn't tell ME to do musical images, but i was actually already doing them... i'll post mine eventually. i did it last year too.