27 May 2007

The Immortal Captain Jack Sparrow

AKA Witty Jack, Jackie (!), and Lord of the Caribbean Sea. I've decided there's too much to say about AWE, I need to devote a blog post to each character. And you know, Jack just had to come first. Spoilers sail these waters! Yarr!

So about these scenes with Multiple Jacks. Funniest things ever. It was bizarre to see him afraid of himself and ordering himself around and shooting/stabbing himself....Jack multiplied about thirty times is just weird. And the Jack-on-each-shoulder, though neither was really a devil or an angel, which is incidentally entirely in keeping with Jack's personality. Besides the rare time, he does what works best for him regardless of who it may affect.

I laughed when he was on the beach deciding who could sail with him. To Ragetti: "Not you. You scare me." And, "Four of you have tried to kill me in the past. One of you succeeded."

Pretty much every one of Jack's lines is funny. He was even more double-crossing than usual in this movie, so much so that I absolutely adored him when he's standing there with the heart and Will gets stabbed. "There will come a time when you have the chance to do the right thing." And wow, he did. I guess that's a point in the Sparrabethers' favor, that he gave up the chance to be Immortal Captain Jack so that Will could live (or somewhat live) for Elizabeth. Though the point could be argued that he did it for Will, I'm sure they're all arguing he did it for Elizabeth.

Okay, other best lines: "It never would have worked out between us, Jack." "Keep telling yourself that, love." I'm intrigued by this. What did he mean? That he thought it would have but he didn't want her to think that? That sounds way too Sparrabethery, that can't be it. Or maybe he didn't love her and didn't want her to love him? There's no concrete proof that he loves her.

And - *Elizabeth goes in for a kiss* "Once is quite enough." This sorta fits better with my second theory, but looking back on it I find it amusing. Thought you could get Jack and Will and Norrington all in one movie, eh Lizzie? Darn.

Last one - Gibbs: "The ship's gone!" Jack: *feigned surprise* Tee hee.

Erin, you're rubbing off on me, I'm tempted to explore other names for Sparrabeth. Jackabeth...Elizajack...Sparraswann...Jackswann...nah, I like Sparrabeth.

And really bad eggs...

~Sil

"You pay me a great insult, Jack Sparrow."
"That doesn't sound like me."

P.S. At the end when the compass pointed to the rum! THAT'S what I like to see.

3 comments:

Calminaiel said...

I agree, I loved Jack in this movie!

So, the scenes where he was multiplying was kinda weird, but we actually have a couple theories. I actually didn't put much thought into the first scene with multiple Jacks...I'm assuming that it was something to do with being in the locker. Being in a place like that would do weird things to anybody, I think.

When he sees them in other scenes, me and my brother were thinking that maybe that's almost like how Jack brainstorms/thinks to himself. Maybe he's always done that, and it's just in this movie that they've shown us what's been going on in Jack's head. *shrugs*

I also like the line he says just before he swings off the Pearl while in the locker. I can't remember what exactly he said, but I really liked it.

About his line to Elizabeth, I honestly didn't think that much into it. I figured it was just a Jack-like thing to say. I think he just never likes being clear, and maybe just wants to keep everybody guessing, so they never actually know what he's feeling/thinking. I'm thinking that's probably the best bet.

Yup, Jack was pretty much everything I expected from him in that movie. Another favorite line: "I have to agree with, and I can't believe the words that are coming out of my mouth...Captain Swann."

Oooh, and regarding the Elizabeth-Norrington thing...I was actually quite relieved when he died...I was getting quite frightened of further Will-Elizabeth troubles if Norrington stuck around. But I am glad he picked a good side, even if he died for it.

Hehe...that's a good line..."Thought you could get all three of them in one movie, eh?" So true...lol

Melda said...

I love these long comments! They make my day! Or my evening...I should be in bed...but whatever.

Oh, another awesome bit of Jack - when he walks past Barbossa muttering to the air on either shoulder. Barbossa's look = priceless. That's a pretty interesting theory - also, compiled with another thing I heard from Johnny Depp, it fits. See, he thinks of Jack as smart and conniving, but he also thinks of him as being slightly sun-baked. As in, his brain's a little weird. But not much, just enough to be funny :)

You should see how horrified some people are about Norrington's death on A-U. There are actually Norrington fangirls, no joke. Even a couple Davy fangirls. And they are so mad, it's not even funny. I don't think I was worried about W/E trouble, but I think death was the best thing that could have happened to his character. I mean, what else are they supposed to do with him?

~Sil

Calminaiel said...

Oh yes, I can definitely understand Jack being a little sun-baked. It's not that hard to believe sometimes. =P Not that it's a bad thing. Even when somebody called Jack mad, he replied, "If I wasn't, this'd probably never work." lol

Yeah. I mean, I guess I was slightly surprised by his death...I mean, it's always nice to have one more guy on the good side. But at the same time...nobody would really have trusted him anyways. Besides, with that little whatever it was that was happening between him and Elizabeth...it was for the best. He died doing a good thing, they should be happy with that. And he did keep them from getting to Elizabeth/letting Elizabeth come back for him. I believe he died honorably. Well...as honorable as he could...

~Calminaiel~