19 October 2006

I found it!

My friend helped me look on tuesday evening and it was behind the information desk. Whew! Now I have my nice little book back again, and I'll know not to take it for granted. So, I celebrated by memorizing five verses in Acts five last night around 11 o'clock. I couldn't sleep. I wonder if they stuck - I only have five more to memorize and then I'm done the chapter, which is good, because I need to quote chapters four and five to someone before tomorrow evening. So today will include a lot of quizzing. And a lot of studying for science. I wouldn't mind it if there weren't fifty-five MILLION (okay, exaggeration) vocabulary words each week and they didn't expect me to be able to tell off the top of my head whether a bacterium lacking a cell wall is in class Archaebacteria or Mollicutes. Or if a gram-positive, non-oxygen-producing photosynthetic bacterium is is phylum Firmicutes or phylum Gracilicutes. It's not like I'm considering biology as a lifelong career! All I want to do is write books!

Grrr. Um, so what else is happening today...ah yes, we're going shopping for Hallowe'en costumes at Value Village. I think we need to put together two pirates, one for me and one for my sister, and I still don't know what my brother's being (probably a hockey player. My, how creative...) and we already have a Spiderman costume for my littler brother and a princess dress for my sister. I have an idea for a pirate hat if we can't find one - I'll make a paper hat and spray-paint it black, and maybe find a skull-and-crossbones sticker and put it on the front, and voila, you have your pirate hat. Also, if we can't find exactly the right things, all we really need to do is get two or three belts and sling 'em around sort of haphazardly and there you go. Like this:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You'll notice he's got at least three belts there, sort of across each shoulder and around his waist. I also thought that if we can't find pirate boots (very likely) we can just get some semi-pirate-looking ones and put big cuffs on them. Like this:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Even rubber boots might work, with some alteration. I'm getting rather excited about this. I might also get some feathers and stick them in my pirate hat. Maybe even black eyeshadow...Jack is always wearing black eyeshadow.

But enough about that! Josh asked me for the snow ice cream recipe earlier, so here it is, for him and anyone else who wanrs it:

2 eggs, beaten
2 C. milk (I use powdered, it works fine)
1 C. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp vanilla
Flavoring to tase (it's really good by itself, so I've never tried flavoring)
Bucket of fresh clean snow (that works out to about two gallons, I find. Any amount around there will work, though, and if you want more flavor, use less snow)

Beat eggs and milk a VERY VERY large bowl. You may want to use a pot, even. Blend in sugar. Add salt, vanilla and other flavoring (if using). Combine with snow and mix well. Freeze for at least an hour and a half. May omit eggs and substitute 3/4 C honey for sugar, though I find this doesn't taste as good.

~Sil

No comments: