12 October 2007

Quiz meet!

I'm off to a quiz meet this evening and tomorrow! Edson, Alberta. Quizzing on Galations chapters 1 through 4, and I'm pretty hyped. For you (uncool) people who don't know what a quiz meet is, it's a thing the Christian & Missionary Alliance churches of North America do, along with a few Baptists and other denominations. The majority is, however, Alliance. In Alberta, we currently have between 250 and 300 youth (grades 6-12) in quizzing, which means we memorize Scripture all through the year and meet five times throughout that year to compete on it. Here's a picture of people on our quizzing benches:



There's four seats to a bench (and therefore up to four people on a team unless you have a sub) and three benches in a quiz. What happens is that the seats on the benches all have triggers underneath them, so that depending on how/where you sit on it, you can control whether your trigger is on or off. The quizmaster (cool name, eh?) reads the question like this: "Question number one. Question: Paul, an apostle, sent how?" and the quizzers can 'jump' (eg get off their seats to make their trigger go on) any time during the question, but as soon as their light comes on the quizmaster stops mid-sentence. So you might get something like: "Question number one. Question: Paul, an apostle, se - Amy?" Notice how these people are leaning forward in order to have the best shot at being the first off their seat:



And that is quizzing. And I am excited.

~Sil

Heather: So what kind of stuff do you read?
Me: Well, I've done Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Canterbury Tales and Hamlet.
[pause]
Bill: So...have you seen High School Musical?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*is one of the uncool people*
That was the first time I've EVER heard of that quizzing thing. And I don't think it's just because my mum's church is so dull and my friends (and me, generally) don't do church at all.

I don't think it exists in the Netherlands. I'm actually pretty sure it doesn't. :P *ish enlightened* :P

And good luck =D

Inverted Frog said...

I've heard of variations of that quizzing thing...does that count?

Haha. I know it doesn't exist here.

Have fun, Melda!

Anonymous said...

Those are pretty ancient quizzing pics! hehe