02 October 2007

Mary-Sues

The definition of the above: a fictional character (generally female) who is unbelievable in her talent, beauty, youth and spitfire personality. MY definition, anyway. See, lately on A-U, we've been discussing how to avoid making characters you create Mary-Sues. This test is very helpful, and names many characteristics that, when found in compilation, make up a Mary-Sue. However, where's the limit? At the end of the test it gives you a rough estimation of scores to help to determine whether or not your character is a Sue. But personally, I think a character without any of those characteristics is going to frankly be a very boring character. A Mary-Sue would, for example, be a 16-year-old who can pwn anybody, male or female, with any weapon you choose to name, all the while being extremely beautiful, spouting witticisms at every turn, and generally possessing a dark and tortured past that she 'keeps secret' but, strangely, seems willing to relate at the slightest provocation. She's probably also royalty a) in disguise, b) stolen away from her family, c) having run away from her family, or d) watched them get killed by [insert villain here]. Whereas a NON-Mary-Sue is probably into her thirties, isn't someone you would look twice at, has a decidedly normal past, no psychological problems, and therefore has about the depth of a kiddie wading pool. Personally, I would prefer the first character. So it can be rather increasingly hard to find the delicate balance where you're not unrealistic, but at the same time you still possess a degree of excitement in the character.

And I still haven't really decided where exactly that is. I think it varies person to person. Anyway, there's my snippet of introspection for the day.

~Sil

"I've decided I now hate anybody with the name Connell."
"Why?"
"Well, two of the recent anti-Conservative letters written lately were by someone named Connell!"
"Seems like impeccable reasoning to me."

5 comments:

Inverted Frog said...

Lol, Melda. That's really funny. And really true. Congrats.

Quizzing Nerd said...

I can't remember if you've tried this before or if the idea is original with me (highly unlikely), but I put Arya through it, and...she got 60. Their instructions for her?

50+
Kill it dead.

:D

We should send Paolini the link.

Melda said...

Yeah, I remember that! LOL. Priceless. Eragon and Arya are both cringe-worthy MSs.

~Sil

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I just re-discovered your blog (again!) (that + I just remembered the complete existence of this site) How do you manage to write so much? Nearly every day? *suddenly feels very, very lazy*

Nah, v. cool blog :D
And that about MSs is true so true, I mean...Luthien is an MS too, technically. :P I still <3 the story though

~Meril/Aerlinn :P

Kyleian said...

That quiz claims my main character is a Mary Sue... but the thing is, most of the stuff about him is after a guy who's just like my older brother... I can't help he's got a strange eye color and even looks a little bit like me...

But yeah. Nobody's told me he's a Mary Sue yet, and it's better to trust RL than an internet quiz.