31 October 2007

Halloween

Okay, before I blog about what I was going to today, I really want to thank everyone for their encouraging comments on my last post - Stephen/zeh Reindeer, Josh, Mrs Stauffer, Robyn, Lady Kyleian and - last but oh my gosh certainly not least - Erin. I feel so amazingly blessed to have people who will support me like you guys...and occasionally make me cry. Not referring to anyone specifically, of course...but if I was I might name a certain dweller in a hole south of Cleveland. THANK YOU!

And seeing as today is Halloween - I figured I might as well post my opinion on a) why I celebrate Halloween, b) why I don't think it's wrong, and c) why I don't think there's a right or wrong about it. I shall start off by quoting my favorite pirateoftherings: "I'm not big on Halloween. I am, however, all for International Free Candy Day." That pretty much sums up my opinion in a nutshell. A couple Sundays ago we learned about the origins of Halloween from Pastor Bryan, and how its roots are in Samhain, a pagan holiday honoring the god of death, which eventually morphed into the day before All Saints' Day, namely All Hallows' Eve. Obviously, we do not celebrate Samhain, and would never dream of doing so. However, is Halloween really still the pagan holiday it originated in? Let's see. In the normal North American kid's Halloween, they make up a costume in October, maybe a movie character they like or a concept they think is clever, and they put it on on the night of October 31st and visit various neighborhood homes, which will be handing out candy. I've trick-or-treated since I was four years old, and I can say with certainty that I was always majorly excited for Halloween. Candy, right? Can't be a bad thing, really. Unless you're a dentist, I suppose. Anyway - there are definitely things about Halloween that I don't subscribe to. For example, dressing up as ghosts/witches/skeletons/demons/devils, etc, or decorating your house spookily. I think that's, whether we know it or not, glorifying something not affiliated with God and therefore not worthy to be glorified. Also, it scares the little three-year-olds dressed in clown costumes, and really, in my opinion it's all about them. So I guess basically what I'm saying is - do I think it's okay to celebrate evil things, remember pagan rites and subscribe to a religion I don't support? Of course not. I am, however, entirely okay with carving a pumpkin or two and handing out chocolate bars. There are no negative effects to be had from that, and it makes little neighborhood kids happy. Are people going to see Christians positively if we turn up our noses and keep our houses dark on Halloween? I don't think so.

At the same time, I can see why Christian parents wouldn't want to celebrate Halloween. It's not a Christian holiday in any sense of the word. It makes perfect sense to me why you might want to avoid that. Also, if straying into that kind of thing is a spiritual stumbling block (heh, my mom's phrase) for you, then by all means avoid it. Don't be tempted. Your opinion is just as valid as mine. I remember comparing it to Harry Potter books in youth Sunday School - some Christian parents are cautious about HP as well. I've read them all, enjoyed them, and they never hurt me. That's not to say they couldn't cause someone else to fall away from God. Sometimes these things are a matter of personal opinion and choice rather than right or wrong.

~Sil

[someone wanna give me a quote? :D]

9 comments:

Quizzing Nerd said...

Excellent summary, and, I think I pretty much agree with you. In fact, I might like to use it on a school forum I'm on - if that's OK with you. (I'll make sure to say that I didn't write it, too :P) My problem with Hallowe'en these days is how it seems like such a big thing - it's seemingly only second to Christmas, and there's Hallowe'en stuff everywhere. I think it should be more on the level of Valentine's Day. Another thing I object to is all the house decorations, but, that's just because I'm a grouch - I object to big Christmas displays (other than lights, which are nice) too.

We're going to do a Reformation Day party (if Baptists are capable of partying) at the church tonight instead, remembering Luther and his thesis; we're just going to hang out, eat food and a Diet of Worms (get it?) dessert, and watch the newest version of the Luther movie, which is actually really good. I think the main reason is because this is actually more fun than Hallowe'en (and better for one's teeth), but it's also because we're supporting a much better cause, and some people in our church have far more reservations than you or I.

By the way, the Eledhe costume is great (love the dagger in the boot), but, only people with Facebook can see it; you might want to post it on your blog. :)

Inverted Frog said...

Good reasons, Melda. I still doubt I'd ever celebrate Halloween, or even International Free Candy Day, simply because of the fact that it is on the same day as Samhain, but I would have no problems thinking of it as just a big costume party where you got to people's houses and get candy if it was on a different date.

And btw--I'm still not into HP, mostly because of the whole witchcraft thing, but also because I've heard that she's really not such a great author. So I just don't bother with it. :P

Anonymous said...

"Candy, right? Can't be a bad thing, really. Unless you're a dentist, I suppose."

Wouldn't it be a good thing if you were a dentist? It's like, guaranteeing you a job for years to come...

Kyleian said...

RE Harry Potter, I know a lot of Christians who have read them. I personally have chosen not to, even if I was allowed. We know one family whose girls are allowed to read them, but the parents have to tell them when they can. I think to read a book like that, we have to be mature enough that it won't affect us in a bad way.

RE Halloween... we celebrate Reformation Day (quizzing nerd... we had the same Diet of Worms idea... alas, we couldn't find gummy worms in time). We dressed up as Bible Characters or famous Christians, and played some games, and had a Bible scavenger hunt.

Anonymous said...

My mum, being a JW, doesn't celebrate anything like Halloween, Christmas, Birthdays, Easter....etc. For exactly the reason you mentioned; pagan origins. And I, since I don't like hurting people, haven't ever celebrated any of those either. :P Yups, I know, stupid reason, but I know she'd feel horrible about it.

So the information was actually not exactly new for me *eye roll* ....I could give you a list of custom comes from which pagan religion...arg, I think I know all of those by heart now. *irritation* Hmpf. My mum doesn't believe in stopping the preaching when she finds out that someone doesn't agree/doesn't listen, but is making homework.

I think it's funny that it's called All Saints Night in English btw- it's all SOULS night in Dutch. Because of the death coming back and all.

Anyway, it isn't really celebrated here anyway; we have Sinte maarten, which is a lot like Halloween; kids come and get Candies....it's sort of a tradition to make multi-colored lamps for Sinte Maarten. :)
And they have to sing at least 2 songs before getting the candies. Mainly nonsense songs, about Sinte Maarten (means "Saint Maarten") being pooped on by a cow.... :P
It does have pagan origins too, just really different ones.

Oh. And we have Sinterklaas. Hahaha. Which is actually just Wodan in disguise. Hey, at least he tries to appear christian eh? ;)
Though he doesn't really succeed...
I love the feel of Sinterklaas. It's nearly Pakjesavond here!!!!! :-D

Inverted Frog said...

Well, Meril, November 1st is All Saint's Day, but the following day is All Soul's Day, since 'saint' only applies to Christians. So we technically have both.

Haha. Sinterklaas. I vaguely remember him from Bonaire. :P And Schwarte Pete or however you spell his name.

Anonymous said...

^ Oh ok. We don't really have anything like all Saints day here....I think. Or it's just sort of forgotten :P

*snortsnickergiggle* "Schwarte Pete"....hahahahahahha!

That's the funniest way of writing it I've seen until now :D

It sounds a bit....German. :P

It's Zwarte Piet :P
And he's going to take you away to Spain if you're a nasty little kid... *DOOM* :P

Inverted Frog said...

Yeah well....Hah. :P I've only ever heard Zwarte Piet said, so I had no idea how to spell it. Naturally, I reverted to German for the 'Schwarte' part, and 'Pete', well...I just went with the weird American way.

And btw...going to Spain would be kind of fun. :P

Anonymous said...

^...you consider being thrown in a stuffy old bag and being beaten with some branches nice?

K, you DO get a free boat journey :) It's something. :P

But every nasty little kid has to work for Sinterklaas after that....muhahaha.
And don't forget how scary Zwarte Piet looks! :P http://homepages.ipact.nl/~samdacher/zwarte%20piet%20003.jpg -> BOO! MAUAHAHAH :P

Parents LOVE Sinterklaas. Perfect way to get their kids to behave like little angels... :P