26 October 2007

Clothes!

I went shopping yesterday!! And, teenage girl that I am, got new clothes and am pretty majorly hyped about them. I'm allowed to be a typical teenager sometimes...especially considering how I'm mostly not. Anyway...got four shirts, a skirt, a pair of ballet-flat-ish shoes and (the most exciting part) jeans! As in, pants! As in, pants that FIT me! This may, in fact, be the first time in my life I have had two pair of jeans at the same time. My other pair is flared a bit, too, and these are semi-skinny-ish jeans, which makes for good variety. Also got a cute skirt patterned in white/grey/black and a shirt of similar material (but different colors). Those and the jeans were from Reitmans, and the shoes and another one of the shirts were from Old Navy, and then I got two AMAZING fuzzy warm sweaters from Stitches. They're SO soft. I'm pretty hyper.

So, after that fit of girl-ish-ness, in other news...

We got school off this week, which was a nice break. Got to do some reading, laze around, sleep in. All that good stuff. Started The Mists of Avalon, which is an...interesting book. As Arthurian stuff goes, it has a lot more of the magic-y side then some - I've read version that discounted the magic entirely. And I think there's at least some, especially talking Morgan le Fay and Morgause and Merlin and stuff. The family tree part of it is also a bit altered, but I suppose it is everywhere. In this version, Viviane/Igraine/Morgause are sisters, and Morgaine is Igraine's daughter. Igraine is married to Gorlois at first, but he dies and she remarries to Uther Pendragon. Arthur/Gwydion is her son by Uther. Galahad is also Viviane's son, and synonymous with Lancelet (which is how they spell it here). Morgause is married to Lot and has Gawaine that I know of. So I can keep track of it so far. I've also decided that I LOVE Celtic/Arthurian names. Stuff like Galahad and Gwydion and Gwenhwyfar and Uther Pendragon and Gawaine and Morgaine and...all of it...is so fun to say! I can just see myself wanting to name a daughter Guinevere (or Gwenhwyfar or whatever) and not getting a whole lot of support. Heh.

Oh! And cool thing - my teacher phones on Wednesday morning cause she needs my mom to sign something when I come in for my lesson, and it turns out that what she's signing is paperwork for someone who's giving out awards for top RCM exam marks. So I got 90 on my grade 8 piano, and am tied with someone else for highest Grade 8 exam mark in the Edmonton area. The prize is $100, so either we'll split it, or the other student's paperwork won't be in in time and I shall get it. So that's pretty cool - one of those things that makes you feel sorta warm and fuzzy inside.

~Sil

"I don't watch random things because of piano."
"What was the last inane television show you've seen that featured a guest piano player, Melda?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahah :D Clothes shopping is cool :P Squee for us teenage girls :P

Mists of Avalon is certainly interesting. I really loved most of, though some, esp. somewhere in the middle and end, was kind of gross. :P Heheh. *is giving hints of upcoming DOOM* Muahaha. :P

And Celtic names = love. :P Lol, I think all of my RP charrie's up till now have Celtic names....kind of stupid really. :P
And my brother's name is Arthur. Hahhaha.

Anonymous said...

See... me, I'm a rebel. I shop when absolutely necessary. *enormous sniff* Only two pairs of jeans? jeansh=awesomenesh.

I detested the way she portrayed Guinevere in Mists of Avalon, especially after having read Queen of the Summer Stars and lots of Jane Yolen where Guinevere's a friendly tomboy. It's one of the few books that makes Morgan look good, though.

Inverted Frog said...

....I hate Morgan.

And I prefer the Welsh versions of all of their names over the typical way that they're given. :D

Kay becomes Cai, Bedivere becomes Bedwyr, Gawain becomes Gwalcmai, I think it's either Gareth or Gaheris becomes Gwalchavad (there are only two brothers in the Welsh version, so far as I know. I might be wrong, though). Oh. And Mordred becomes Medraut, which is a lot cooler sounding as well. :D

I ♥ Celtic names. They are the coolest names ever.

And the piano thing is pretty cool, Melda.

The shopping thing, though....I'm not that big on shopping, so I'm afraid I can't empathise with you in that.

Melda said...

I'm a horrible girly teenager in that respect. It's okay, though, I balance it out with other stuff.

I'm not sure what I like best. I like Gawain better than Gwalchmai, and Gaheris/Gareth are awesome names...I also think Mordred is cooler than Medraut.

And don't judge Morgan so harshly :P She's pretty cool in her own way. Does anyone else think books tend to either portray Guinevere weak and Morgan noble, or Guinevere noble and Morgan evil? I kinda think that's how it works, a bit.

~Sil

Inverted Frog said...

Well, in The Pendragon Cycle, Gwenhwyvar is decidedly good and all that (noble might be stretching it, really) but she's a loyal, loving wife, etc. Morgan, known as Morgian in this instance, is very decidedly evil. No room for any goodness in her. If you read the cycle, you'd understand what I mean. She is corrupt and wicked through and through.

I hate Morg(i)an.

Anonymous said...

Meh, am I the only one who always sort of disliked Guinevere? :P
And kind of liked Morgain, even in the books that make her look evil? :P
I mean like as in....cool character, not as in "wow, I'd love to be friends with someone like that!!" Lol. :P