18 September 2007

Robert Jordan

Best selling fantasy author Robert Jordan has died of a rare blood disease aged 58, it has been reported.

Jordan - whose real name was James Oliver Rigney Jr - wrote the "Wheel of Time" series, which sold millions of books since the first - "The Eye of the World" - was published in 1990.
Full story

I'm in shock. I spent all of this summer reading Wheel of Time, up to book 11, and I couldn't wait to find out what happened in the twelfth one - and now will there even be a twelfth one? Will we never know what happened at the end? It's so hard to believe that the end is just going to hang there, and we'll never know. Someone else could write it, I guess, but it won't be the same. Age 58. I think all of us expect to live longer than that. It really makes you think - what am I waiting for? I can't know what's going to happen tomorrow or next year or next month - so what am I waiting for? Why am I still in the mindset of 'When I grow up'? I'm almost grown up. I could be writing right now, writing fantasy novels, or whatever I'm going to write - so why aren't I?

It's a little...weird...to think about.

R.I.P., Robert Jordan.

~Sil

5 comments:

Inverted Frog said...

I agree with you 100% on all of that, Sil. It's so.....shocking. It's just turning over and over in my head. "Robert Jordan is dead." I don't know that it's set in yet, though.

The world lost an amazing author in him.

Inverted Frog said...

Also, whenever you get your novels published....send me copies. ^_^

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that it's unfortunate that he passed away, and with the whole mortality/ time idea... when I grow up... for the longest time, I would tell myself I'd do things "when I turn 16." I've been 16 for a couple months now and... bah.

Imagine if something had happened to JK Rowling before she wrote the seventh Potter book?

Melda said...

That's exactly the thing. There's no way of knowing, so why aren't we getting the very most that we can out of life right now - because "I'll do it tomorrow" is all very well, but what if tomorrow never comes?

It sounds weird...

If you pay postage I will, O Inverted Frog :D

~Sil

Anonymous said...

Augh! No! He can't be dead! I loved his books and want to know what happened! *sits in a corner and cries* He was a good author...