22 March 2007

Spring break

...is coming up for everyone but me. It's next week for all public schools here and all my siblings, but I have the power to switch mine around, so I have. Because Calminaiel (www.bassonfreak.blogspot.com) is coming to visit over HER spring break, which is the first week of April, so since I'd rather not do school when she's here I've juggled things a bit. W00t for me.

My uncle's coming home today! He's been in Toronto for the last six weeks (or so) and we're picking him up today at the airport, around 3. And next week he's coming to the Telus World of Science (formerly known as the Odysseum) with us, which should be fun.

Call me indecisive...but I still can't decide which second study I want to do for my piano exam in June. Everything is decided except that. List A - Solfeggietto. List B - Sonata in G by Beethoven. List C - Puck by Edvard Grieg. List D - To the Rising Sun by Trygve Torjussen (and no, I don't know how to say Trygve). Studies - Capriccio by Handel...or is it Haydn? I think it's Haydn. always get those two mixed up. Anyway, for a second study I could choose from Gypsies (who I forget the composer of) or In Dreams from FotR, or Rohan from TTT. We (my teacher and I) determined that I'm doing a LotR one, but I'm quite torn between the two. I love them both. So I'll work on both of them and see which one grows on me.

63 days!

~Sil

"Okay, so a normal note is a 'dah', alittle upside-down V accent is a 'dat', and a staccato is a 'dit'. So that passage should go 'dah-dah-dit dah-dat-dah dit'. I know I sound like I'm speaking alien, bear with me."

8 comments:

Quizzing Nerd said...

We don't have spring break either, not for the next couple weeks. I'm not going to take one at all because I have to get my work done.

I would recommend In Dreams, although it probably doesn't sound quite as beautiful when it's just played, instead of sung and played.

The quote is awesome. :)

Calminaiel said...

Are you kidding? That's not alien, that's practically my first language. You should hear the band kids talk about the songs we're playing...that's what we sound like. Only with a wider variety of syllables.

Yeah, I like both of those songs too. I don't think I've ever really heard you play Rohan, have I?

Miliuel said...

In Dreams and Rohan are both fantastic... I don't know though. In Dreams has more of a musical quality than Rohan does, i.e more melody (unless the piano of Rohan is different from the violin arrangement that I have, which I'm sure it is), but as this is your grade eight exam... I played In Dreams for my grade five a year and a half ago, and I'm pretty sure it's the same version. So it's a fairly easy song, and I'm not sure it would impress an examinator much.

Melda said...

I've probably played Rohan for you at one time or another but I'm sure I'm much better at it now, no matter when it was :P And I happen to not really be a band geek...piano and band notwithstanding....so it did sound a little gibberish-y to me. I'm sort of leaning towards doing that one but then I play In Dreams and am undecided again. And there's still Gypsies, which I like as well :P

~Sil

Anonymous said...

I prefer In Dreams (yes! I am commenting on LotR!) but I often lean toward the slower, dreamier ones. It's really pretty though.

And Cappriccio is by Handel.

From... guess who?

Anonymous said...

dude, you haven't guessed yet.

Quizzing Nerd said...

Random guess...Erin?

Anonymous said...

ooh how did you ever figure it out??? :P