23 December 2007

O tidings of comfort and joy

...Joy to the world, the Saviour reigns...
...Joy to the world with truth and grace...
...Rejoice! Rejoice in the Most High...

...angels we have heard on high, sweetly singing over the plains. And the mountains in reply, echoing their joyous strains...shepherds, why this Jubilee?
Why your joyous strains prolong?...

...far, far away on Judea's plains, shepherds of old heard the joyous strains...

...good Christian men, rejoice with heart and soul and voice...

...joyful, all ye nations rise, join the triumph of the skies...

...it came upon the midnight clear, that glorious song of old, from angels bending near the earth, with news of joy foretold...

...O come, all ye faithful, joyful and triumphant...

..."Fear not," said he, for mighty dread had seized their troubled mind, "Glad tidings of great joy I bring to you and all mankind"...

...thus spake the seraph, and forthwith appeared a shining throng of angels praising God and thus addressed their joyful song...

...on on they send, on without end, their joyful tone, to every home - dong ding dong ding... dong! Bong!...

...sing we joyous all together, fa la la la la la la la la. Heedless of the wind and weather, fa la la la la la la la la...


...have I made my point yet? Joy. Joyous, rejoice, joy. All those carols - tidings of comfort and joy, joy to the world. We went to some friends' house for dinner this evening, and driving back I was struck by how very, very happy I am. Just now. A few days before Christmas, when there seems to be an air of excitement pervading the air, and everybody has holidays and it IS peace on earth, good will to men. Joy. Tidings of great joy. Christmas is a time for us to be unbelievably, incandescently, forever joyful. Jesus came. He didn't have to. He came, and went from deity to human, and lived with us. Isn't that cause for joy, at the very least?

I can sing carols, and be happy. I'm happy when we see family, and sit around and talk, and just be content. Gifts are good. Gifts are a perk.

But could I be happy without them? I think so. Because I have the greatest gift ever given, and it's that Jesus came and died for ME.

Don't forget, this Christmas.

~Sil

"...and the Coke villain died and they all lived happily ever after. And that's the true meaning of Christmas."

6 comments:

Quizzing Nerd said...

Amen! People seem to think that Christians have to be solemn all the time. But why should we be? We have more reason to rejoice than any others. And Christmas is a great time to remember that. Thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

"and the Coke villian died and they all lived happily ever after. And that's the true meaning of Christmas."

Amen to that!
oh, and joy. that too. :P

Kyleian said...

Glad I'm not the only one filled with joy this Christmas!
Just last night, I couldn't get to sleep, not from excitement, I was just SO HAPPY... so amazed at God...

Merry Christmas!

Quizzing Nerd said...

Oh. And the Coke Villan didn't really die. He faked it, so he can come back and claim his real rights later. Because Coke is better than that young cocky upstart Pepsi.

Miliuel said...

Merry Christmas!

Oh, and you missed How Great Our Joy. :P

While by the sheep we watched at night
Glad tidings brought an angel bright
How great our joy! (great our joy)
Joy joy joy! (joy, joy, joy...


*hugs favourite carols*

Anonymous said...

:)

It's weird, but I get infected by all the happy people around me, which causes me to be very happy it's Christmas, even though I don't celebrate it. :P

I guess I'm happy that all of you are so happy :D And I don't know half of those carols :P *curiousness*