07 June 2007

Last piano lesson

...was yesterday. We had a sort of mock exam type thing. I'm sure it had a purpose besides making me horribly nervous, but it definitely accomplished that if nothing else. Had a completely unexpected memory slip on my first repertoire song that I was SO mad at myself about, but I guess it was actually good other than that...missed a cadence on ear training but all year I've been missing cadences so I guess it's nothing new. And the Sonata. This is where I sigh inwardly. I seem to have two options for the sonata - either play it the way these weird teacher people want me to play it, which is about as fun as washing dishes, or play it the way I would prefer to play it, which I actually enjoy. The problem with my way is that I go too fast and the problem with their way is that I get bored and it lacks a certain 'spark' my teacher says it has when I play it my way. Bleh. So I'm supposed to find something in between for the recital.

And just cause I can...my musical pictures, images or stories I connect with songs, are:
Study #1, Rohan: This one's easy because it's from a movie, so I think of the Rohirrim or Eowyn standing at Edoras, and a lot of wind. And the flag ripping. Though that comes more toward the end.
Study #2, Cappriccio: I renamed this, it is now The Masked Juggler. He juggles throughout the song with varying patterns and color, and at the end he drops all the balls and disappears. This is probably my favorite piece out of the six so I had fun with it.
Repertoire #1, Solfeggietto: Renamed The Mouse in the Bedroom. I had a piece in grade 2 once called The Mouse in the Coal Bin that sorta sounded like this one (if I remember correctly, which I'm not sure I do) and it does sound a lot like a mouse running around.
Repertoire #2, Sonata in G: This one didn't get renamed because it was going to be some boring thing about dancing. So I just think of dancing while I play it and all goes well, except I go too fast. SLOWER dancing.
Repertoire #3, Puck: This one was really easy, as it sounds exactly like a mischievous little elf running around pulling people's hair and stealing their pocket watches. Shakespearian. And the crazy running up the piano at the end and and the end of the first section is him laughing.
Repertoire #4, To The Rising Sun: Again, easy, because it basically sounds like what it is. I'm not actually a huge fan of this song, I only picked it because I didn't like any of the other options, so I didn't expend a whole bunch of energy on it.

Right now I just want my exam to come so I can a) get it over with and b) stop playing these pieces! Argh!

~Sil

"Four wieners and a shrub, please."

No comments: