14 June 2007

Does it work both ways?

Something weird just happened. I sat down and played all of my exam pieces - all six - exactly the way I want to play them tomorrow. This might sound lke no problem to all you non-musical people. But I started at the right speeds, didn't have one memory slip, and I'm pretty sure I had some good dynamics in there.

So. My question now is - bad dress rehearsal, good performance. Does it work both ways? Good dress rehearsal, bad performance?

And strangely enough, even if it does work both ways, I don't even know if I really care anymore. Because, really, what is a music exam on the grand scale of things? Even a grade 8 RCM music exam? I've said it so many times before - the whole reason I do piano is because it's fun. Not because I want a career in it, not because my parents make me, but because I like it. So why am I so scared? Honestly, this is one person's opinion of my playing/technique/ear and sight on one given day. I'm not petrified for every single one of my piano lessons, and they're pretty close to the same thing. Why am I more scared to perform in front of one person than I am in front of, oh, fifty people? Just because they're giving me a mark?

That sorta strikes me as silly.

~Sil

"Kill the butter!"

No comments: