19 August 2007

A detailed treatise on Drow and Aiel

Disclaimer: If you haven't read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan or Forgotten Realms by R.A. Salvatore (well, I'm told he wrote the best ones) you won't understand a word of this.

If, however, you are a certain personage who goes by the moniker 'A Reindeer' or 'Elegost Eruaphadion', pay attention. You are about to be pwned.

The whole reason for this blog post, you see, is that there's a bit of a war being waged between the four of us - me and the Violent One (aka Samantha, aka Lady Dark Moon, aka LDM, aka Lady Fudge Moon) against the Reindeer (aka Stephen) and Ellie (aka Chris). Ellie and Reindeer, you see, are sadly misled and think that Aiel are better than Drow. LDM and I do try to correct them, but they're somewhat resistant. Like black-veiled Aiel (ha)(see below).

I'll take pity on those not acquainted with fantasy, I guess. For a little bit. Somewhat. So, Drow are dark elves. You know, an elf like Orlando Bloom plays. Elf. Legolas. Remember that term and name. Now imagine Legolas with dark skin and white hair, and glowy red eyes (or lavender if you're imagining him as Drizzt, but we'll get to that) and you have a Drow. Also, reverse all Legolas's moral inclinations (again, unless you're Drizzt). So we now have a white-haired, dark-skinned elf with no moral standards whatsoever, but still pretty darn cool and capable of pretty much pwning any existing opponent, because dark elves are basically the best weapon-users you can think of. Plus, they're not human, and therefore have better reflexes/skills/all-round superiority. For more info on Drow, go here.

(Still taking pity. Don't you love me?) Now, Aiel, on the other hand, are human. You all know what humans are, I hope. If not...well, we won't get into that. But if you're not human, could you get in touch with me? I'd be curious to discover what you are. Anyway, Aiel are a desert-dwelling, nomadic sort of people, who are somewhat legendary and famed for their skill with weapons. They can be identified by their taller-than-average height, blond or red hair, and pale-colored eyes. When preparing to kill, they wear veils, and the phrase 'like a black-veiled Aiel' is a comparison used in the rest of the world to mean someone stubborn or belligerent. For more info on Aiel, click here.

First, let us examine who would win in a fair fight - an Aiel or a Drow. A Drow's preferred weapon will vary, but it's almost always enchanted somehow, and an Aiel will use short spears with sword-like blades. Aiel have fast reflexes. Drow are elven and therefore have SUPER-fast reflexes, not to mention a cloak that can make them invisible and magical abilities. Some Aiel do have magical abilities, but not the ones that fight. Drow are nocturnal, and therefore would be at a disadvantage in fighting during the day, but Aiel are not nocturnal and therefore would be equally disadvantaged at night. Drow, however, don't need their eyes to fight. Along with super-fast reflexes, they have killer instincts. It's impossible to sneak up on a Drow, so don't try. The main character in the Dark Elf Trilogy, Drizzt Do'Urden, kills a basilisk at one point without using his eyes. He has the help of his panther Guenhwyvar, granted, but he does fight without looking. I think it can be safely concluded that a Drow would win against an Aiel.

There's also the element of sheer coolness. Aiel look like this. Drow look like this.

...need I say more? Drow are pretty much the epitome of sheer coolness. They have magic and enchanted weapons and cool-colored eyes and black and purple armor and, despite being somewhat backstabbing, are elven and therefore as attractive as any elf you care to name. I won't, as I think the obvious comparison is...obvious. Aiel have spears and veils. Whoop-de-doo.

Ahem. So. After that bout of utter pwnage, in other news...Sarah got me a birthday present! It's the greatest little card with a parrot going "Ahh! Walk the plank!" and then inside, "Best as we can tell, that means Happy 16th Birthday!" and lip chap and a lavender-scented candle. I left the lid of the candle off last night, and woke up and smelled lavender. I liked it.

Oh, and just as a general invitation to anyone reading, I really wanna go see Stardust. So if you want to go see Stardust with me, then please say so, because I don't want to go by myself.

~Sil

"I hope you get your birthday present tomorrow. Suspense is killing ME, and I know what it is!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

*war chant* DROW DROW DROW DRWO DRW DRFOW REOWAJ...
(and you forgot to mention the coiffure. it's all in the coiffure)
some more pictures
Drizzt pwning
Drizzt being all the enigma
bet Aiel don't look like that

Kyleian said...

Hey Meldawen -
The Nightingale here.

One warning about Stardust... there are lotsa pop culture things in it. Things they didn't need, making it kinda nasty.
Just be warned.

- Night'

Melda said...

Good to know, thanks Night :) I do make a point of seeing fantasy movies, so Stardust is definitely on the list.

I didn't know you read my blog! *flatterment*

~Sil

Quizzing Nerd said...

Well...I'm sticking my neck out here, but, even though I've never read about them other than your blog...I like the Aiel better. The Drow are creepy-lookin'.

*hopes Sil doesn't chop his head off with her Drow sword*

Inverted Frog said...

Hah. Drow just can't compare with Aiel.

Melda said...

It's a *scimitar* and I have two of them. You guys need to do your research, I happen to have read BOTH WoT and FR and THEN decided Drow were better. You're just biased *nods*.

~Sil

Inverted Frog said...

Nah, we're not biased--you just like Marty-Sams/Mary-Sues. Hah. :P

Erin said...

I like creatures that exist in real life, but I may be biased as well.

=P