30 May 2007

Jack the Monkey

I'm in a weird mood, so the next character who gets a review is Jack the Monkey. I honestly think he was the funniest part of this movie besides Jack (not the monkey) and his Jackish lines. And actually, the monkey who plays Jack is a she! (To avoid confusion, Jack-not-the-monkey will here on in be referred to as Jackie. You know, like what his dad calls him.)

First of all, it has the cutest little outfit in Singapore. Flat conical hat and all. And it turns the wheel for a little music-playing thingy, and sets off a firework with the parrot. But undoubtedly the cutest bit with Jack the monkey was on the ship to world's end, where he's on a barrel covered in icicles and shivering. To do this, they used a) a ton of makeup and b) a barrel that vibrated. How ingenious is that!

And have I ever mentioned the weirdness of Geoffrey Rush? See, he's Barbossa, and he's firmly convinced that audiences view a movie screen from left to right. He's also firmly convinced that in any shot inclusive of him, Elizabeth and the monkey, he must be on the left side. Because who's going to look at Barbossa if they can look at Elizabeth and the monkey? And the funniest thing, particularly in CoTBP, is that he manages it almost all the time!

But back to Jack the monkey. He gets shot out of a cannon, too, which is debatably the cutest shot in the movie, and at the very end Barbossa (Barbossa!) talks baby talk to him. If I haven't been just recovering from tears at this point I would have laughed my head off. I'm sure there were many more adorable shots of Jack the monkey, but I can't remember them. So enlighten me, guys!

~Sil

"Put me under pepperoni."

1 comment:

Miliuel said...

Jackie: 'Did no one come to save me just because they missed me?'

*shot of Jack the monkey putting hand in air*