27 February 2007

One (1) Oscar

As Josh reminded me, that's what Dead Man's Chest won on Sunday evening. It was for Visual Effects, which is basically what I predicted it would win. The others it was nominated for, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Art Direction, were won respectively by Letters from Iwo Jima, Dreamgirls and Pan's Labyrinth. Sort of odd that the third movie ever to gross over 1 billion in the box office (the other two being Return of the King and Titanic, both of which were nominated for and won ELEVEN Oscars) would only get one. I suppose I'll just have to keep hoping it turns out like LotR, where RotK practically swept up every Oscar worth getting. I was, admittedly, rather happy with the fact that none of this year's nominated movies came close to doing what RotK did.

Watched Princess of Thieves yesterday afternoon. I guess it was an okay movie, other than the fact that they expect us to believe Keira Knightley could pass for a boy with nothing but a haircut and different clothes. I mean, please. Again, a mildly entertaining way to spend an hour and a half, but not the best movie ever by far. Now, when I find time to watch Curse of the Black Pearl again (fankoo Josh) before the quiz meet, that will be a movie I'll enjoy.

~Sil

2 comments:

Calminaiel said...

Hm, that Princess of Theives sounds vaguely familiar...like it was something I wanted to see at one point.

Anonymous said...

I actually saw Princess of Thieves and can say two things:
1. They're not dancing. They're not leaping. Heck, they're not even swordfighting. They're CLUBBING each other.
2. It broke my heart. I was practically in tears by the end. I still can't believe I wasted an entire hour and a half of my precious life.