22 January 2007

Quiz retreat - fifteen books

I was a little hopeless - just a little - because I only had time to cram chapters 1, 2 and 3 before the retreat started. But it got better as it went on, and pretty soon I was stealing Everett's Finish the Verses and Josh's Multiple Answers like I usually do. For the uninitiated, that means I was jumping a little faster on FTVa and MAs in order to beat Everett and Josh because those are their favorite types of question. I didn't always get them right, but Josh and I now have a rather amusing rivalry going. So all in all it was a success. We now have two review weeks before the quiz meet, in which I intend to get REALLY good at EVERYTHING. I love review weeks.

We had my little brother's birthday party yesterday. He turned eight. Got some cool stuff, Monopoly and a Lego Bionicle thing and a pair of rechargeable walkie-talkies. We ate junk food all afternoon and then watched Cars and then had supper while watching the other half of Cars. I sort of half-watched the first half of it because I was chatting to Lady Dark Moon from A-U, and it was very enjoyable, but I watched the second half and found it a better movie than I think I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be pretty boring, because I have about as much interest in cars in general as I have in...hockey. And everyone reading this knows how I feel about hockey. But it was a pretty good movie.

Found this on Emily's blog and thought I would do it, thanks Emily!

Mark the selections you have read in bold. If you liked it, add a star [*] in front of the title, if you didn't, give it a minus [-]. Then, put the total number of books you've read in the subject line.

*The Chronicles of Prydain - Alexander, Lloyd
Carrie's War - Bawden, Nina
Death of a Ghost - Butler, Charles
Ender's Game - Card, Orson Scott
*Summerland - Chabon, Michael (I put a star by this because it was a good book, if not really my type)
King of Shadows - Cooper, Susan
The Dark is Rising sequence - Cooper, Susan
Stonestruck - Cresswell, Helen
-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Dahl, Roald
-Matilda - Dahl, Roald (sorry, hated this book. Too...something. Dark.)
Ingo - Dunmore, Helen
The Sea of Trolls - Farmer, Nancy
Madame Doubtfire - Fine, Anne
Corbenic - Fisher, Catherine
*Inkheart - Funke, Cornelia
*The Thief Lord - Funke, Cornelia
The Owl Service - Garner, Alan
Happy Kid! - Gauthier, Gail
Stormbreaker - Horowitz, Anthony
Whale Rider - Ihimaera, Witi
Finn Family Moomintroll - Jansson, Tove
Fire and Hemlock - Jones, Diana Wynne
The Phantom Tollbooth - Juster, Norton
The Sheep Pig - King Smith, Dick
Stig of the Dump - King, Clive
A Wizard of Earthsea - Le Guin, Ursula
*The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Lewis, C S
Gardens - Lively, Penelope
Goodnight Mister Tom - Magorian, Michelle
The Changeover - Mahy, Margaret
The Stones are Hatching - McCaughrean, Geraldine
The White Darkness - McCaughrean, Geraldine
*Beauty - McKinley, Robin
Sabriel - Nix, Garth
*The Borrowers - Norton, Mary
-Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - O'Brien, Robert
Z for Zachariah - O'Brien, Robert
A Dog So Small - Pearce, Philippa
Life As We Knew It - Pfeffer, Susan Beth
A Hat Full of Sky - Pratchett, Terry
-His Dark Materials sequence - Pullman, Philip
How I Live Now - Rosoff, Meg
*Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Rowling, J K
Holes - Sachar, Louis
The Foreshadowing - Sedgwick, Marcus
Marianne Dreams - Storr, Catherine
When the Siren Wailed - Streatfield, Noel
*The Bartimaeus Trilogy - Stroud, Jonathan
***The Hobbit - Tolkien, J R R (and the Annotated one)
*Charlotte's Web - White, E B

~Sil

1 comment:

Calminaiel said...

Wow...I've read less books...Now I'm sad...
lol