17 March 2009

Ponderings regarding the clock

"I must govern the clock, not be governed by it." - Golda Meir

"Clocks slay time... time is dead as long as it is being clicked off by little wheels; only when the clock stops does time come to life." - William Faulkner

"The hands of every clock are shears, trimming us away scrap by scrap, and every time piece with a digital readout blinks us towards implosion." - Dean Koontz

Yep, it's that time again. When I get irritated with some figment of life that I can't change and vent to cyberspace. Today it's the clock.

I'm tired of trying to be in bed by midnight and up by 7 am and out the door by 5:45 pm and complete this in two hours and finish that in three hours and be forever looking at my watch. Time is a brilliant thing, really, but there's so little of it, especially when it's measured out in hours and fractions of hours and fractions of minutes. Do this fast! Eat supper now! You're late for work! Actually, let me clarify. Time is brilliant. (Incidentally, God's responsible for creating it.) Clocks, however - necessary, but not so much brilliant. (And, of course, we get credit for that one.)

What if time were only measured by when it was dark and when it wasn't? What if there were no mealtimes or bedtimes and people are when they were hungry and slept when they were tired?

It's okay, I can answer myself. That's called 'several centuries BC.'

Darn.


"Look, a puppy!"
"No, that's just one of the ninjas."

[Was this post inspired by my timed essay-writing English exam this morning? Perhaps.]

1 comment:

Juanita Stauffer said...

Welcome to the adult world....

LOL