12 November 2008

I need to stop reading letters to the editor.

Lately, they only serve to make me mad and fuel my blog rants.

Like today, for instance.

Tell me how this is somehow offensive and unsupportable: that soldiers, all of whom VOLUNTEERED, have fought in all the wars of this century to preserve the freedom and prosperity of their homeland. Tell me how it is bad, for one flipping day of the entire year, to remember the people who died so YOU have a home and a family and a free country. You'd think this would be impossible to refute, wouldn't you?

But still there are people who sit at home in their warm houses and whine about how we shouldn't be 'glorifying the acts of war'. Okay, I know war isn't fun, I know it's deadly, I would be horrified should there be, say, a WW3, but the important part is that people, when the time came, did it anyway! And they did it not because they found shooting fellow humans fun, they did it because it was the RIGHT THING TO DO! And because they did, we have what we do and we enjoy the privileges we do!

Next time a threat comes around, you people who write these idiotic letters, you can just lie down like a doormat and let the invading forces walk all over you. Tell me how that goes. Maybe you'll be slightly more supportive of war afterwards.

Rant over. Please be advised that I oppose pacifism with every bone in my body.

1 comment:

Lenya said...

...Wow.

Did these people who write the letters ever hear of Nazis? The invasion of Poland? Pearl Harbor? 9-11? All of these have been considered threats and attacks on freedom. I'm not saying war is fun, either, but sometimes war is necessary to preserve our freedom and our way of life.

This is a topic that hits pretty close to home for me, and I could go on, but I'll stop now and add my mini-rant to your rant :)