02 November 2008

The Latest News

Brought to you by Melda being too distracted to come up with something thoughtful and philosophical, and therefore deciding that it is time for an update on Real Life.

Recent Events:

#1: My first party planning attempt. Last Sunday, November 24th, I was very devious and cunning and hosted a surprise party for one of my friends. It involved a clandestine phone call to her mother, employment of my fantastic acting skills, several days of waiting, some streamers and balloons, and finally an army of youth girls hiding in my family room and an obscene amount of food including birthday cake. We had a fire, too. In the fireplace.
The lovely birthday girl.


#2: The most awesome youth event in the history of youth events, AKA Return to Dark Hold Keep. This, if nothing else, is evidence that I pretty much have the greatest youth pastor in the entire flippin' universe. We spent two and a half hours decoding runes, finding mini treasure chests, speaking in 'yarr' and 'ahoy', strutting around like Jack Sparrow himself, and (in my case) captaining the winning team of the entire event and coming home with Jack Rackham's rum bottle and a paper bag full of candy. We also saw The Biggest Cannon In Alberta, a whopping six inches long, and had a hole burnt in the back of one of our clues. It was supposed to be a code written in lemon juice.
We are pirates.


#3: NaNoWriMo. [National Novel Writing Month] I've never done this before but I decided it was time to jump in - I'm writing a novel in 30 days. 50000 words, to be more precise. It works out to a minimum of 1667 words per day. My novel is coming along steadily, albeit that I am very aware of the rampant way I have quantity over quality. Perhaps, in Editing Month (aka December) I'll see fit to post an excerpt or two.

#4: Halloween! In our household we had a random pirate with a red plush hat (yours truly), a random girl dressed in random sparkly stuff, Link, and his counterpart Zelda. There is now an obscene amount of candy floating around.

Upcoming events include: November 13-15, the Conservative Convention in Winnipeg. I am going as a Youth Delegate for the riding of Edmonton-Mill Woods-Beaumont. Also, the first district quiz meet, November 21-22. Both will come, I am sure, with pictures, and quite possibly blog posts as well. If I have nothing profound to post before then, look for reports.

By popular demand (sort of) I now depart to pay a cookie I owe, write a post in Phantom Grey, and add 2500 words to my novel count of 3250.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want mint chocolate chip on the cookie, please. Hold the trans fat.