19 January 2010

As of January 19...

(Have to get this in before it's actually January 20.)

Have read (3): Mad Ship by Robin Hobb, Monster by Frank Peretti, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

Am reading (2): When God Writes Your Love Story by Eric and Leslie Ludy, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

Have on hold at the library and intend to read (1): Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb.

Monster: Perhaps my expectations for this book were too high. I read all Peretti's kids' books when I was littler and managed to get thoroughly creeped out by almost every single one. Monster, however, took quite some time to enter a plot that actually seemed multifaceted and moving, and the only time it was gripping enough to have me unwilling to put it down was for about the last chapter. I also had trouble visualizing the characters, many of whom had rather bland names and personalities. The evolution/creation angle was satisfying, however, and clearly Peretti did his research.

Verdict: Entertaining but not memorable in an imprinted-on-my-brain kind of way. I still have vivid mental images from his kids' books. Kept me reading for a couple days.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: I find it greatly satisfying to finally know the origin of, "So long and thanks for all the fish." Hitchhiker's Guide kept me reading with some giggle-out-loud dialogue and the most bizarre plot twists I have ever seen. (See: depressed robot convincing spaceship to commit suicide.) I have yet to decide if it had any deeper life meaning or if it merely resembled something along the lines of Monty Python - highly quotable and clever but mostly for entertainment purposes. I do not yet know if I will read the sequel(s?).

Verdict: Was finished in less than 24 hours; that only happens when I like it. Made me want to see the movie and possibly read more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Douglas Adams wrote for Monty Python in his day, I believe. HHG2G is pure, simple entertainment. I would be extremely disturbed if it had any deeper life meaning beyond 42 :P
All of the sequels in the trilogy are great except So Long and Thx for All the Fish, whcih is a bit of a drag. I haven't read Eoin Colfer's effort at a sixth book.