11 October 2008

The Beauty of Democracy

"I don't vote in this province."

"I think it's stupid to have another election. I'm not voting."

"Sorry, we don't really believe in voting."

I am more philosophical about this topic than my dad, who has to suppress a need to say "Oh yeah? Well move to China then, see how well they take to 'yeah, I don't believe in communism'." We love him anyway.

But back to the point.

This evening I was recalling, as I sat with a blanket and a cup of chocolate-cake-in-a-mug (if you would like this amazing recipe, do tell me) the topic of the youth Sunday School class I was able to attend last week, as there was no quizzing that day. We discussed, with a lively peppering of varying opinions, the blessing of democracy and our responsibilities that follow. This, combined with three hours of dropping campaign literature in mailboxes I did today, made me contemplative about the democratic system. Should we be as cynical about politicians as many are? Do our votes count? (Well, not my vote, per se.) Is voting the responsibility that comes with the gift of democracy? Is it wrong not to vote?

Personally, I have varying answers to any and all of these. However, the gist of the matter is this: Despite its shortcomings, the democratic system gives citizens under its jurisdiction the option to have a say (however small) in how their country is governed. Assuming politicians are, in fact, the conniving lying [insert expletive here]s many seem to think they are, which is better - having a say in which lying conniving so-and-so governs, or having no say?

Whatever your answer, obviously, if you had the opportunity to have a say and didn't take it, you have no right to complain when your taxes aren't what you'd like them to be or a law is passed with which you disagree or etc.

I'm really not here to tell people why they should or shouldn't vote. However, I can ponder all the telling questions I like, and I can definitely add my opinion to the churning mass of others' thoughts that are out there.

So here it is:

VOTE OCTOBER 14TH!

No comments: