08 June 2009

Suck it up

That's what I told myself just before I made a trip to fill up my bike tires with air this afternoon.

It's gotten to the point where I'm fully capable of walking or biking to work, because the weather does not prohibit me and it stays light late enough that I can still get myself home after, at least from a shift that ends at 8. Not sure about 9. I also need the exercise. The reason I'm skinny is sure as heck not because I try to be.

The reasons I weren't look like this:
- I needed to fill up my bike tires. (That's taken care of.)
- I couldn't lock my bike up. (I've since learned that I can take it inside work until I leave; I've also rediscovered the combination on my lock.)
[This is where I started with the more pathetic reasons)
- It's hard to carry my purse and ride a bike. (That's what POCKETS are for.)
- The helmet would mess up my hair. (Ponytail. Braids. Objection slain.)
- I won't be able to bring home books as often because I won't be able to carry them. (Because the two-foot-tall STACK in my room won't last me.)

So I'm biking to and from work tonight, and the egregious hardships of exercise, no purse, and helmet hair will not prevail against me. At seventeen I'm really old enough to not have to bum a ride off my parents to get everywhere.

I can suck it up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm doing a show at a theatre downtown. I should NOT have to bum rides off my parents from school, to the theatre, and home again.
So, I'm learning bus schedules.

I missed a bus once. Took a 20 block adventure. It was a nice day.

I had to stand at the stop in spitting rain. Oh dear.

I have to walk from school to Whyte, 10 whole blocks. A distance I can cover in 9 minutes.

The man next to me on the bus today was trying out a new scent called "cologne gone wrong." I got off the bus all of 6 minutes from when he got on.

I agree. We can suck it up.

Calminaiel said...

Another argument against the carrying purse and not bringing home books excuse:

Bring a backpack. Very easy to bike with.

~Cal

Melda said...

Actually, I had thought of that; I just don't possess a backpack that isn't too big and bulky to be convenient.

tango said...

I'm impressed with the "I should not have to bum a ride from my parents".
Amy - I love your list of things. That's what life sometimes comes down to - a list of things.
The better we can manage the "list of things" the better we can get through life.