15 June 2009

Shopping

I've begun to be mildly alarmed at the amount of money I'm capable of spending on clothes in a very short time. The Gollum/Smeagol war is constantly going on, like this:

Gollum: But I've already spent X number of dollars...
Smeagol: It's just money, precious! And you have a job!
Gollum: Yeah, but what about in university when I'm going to need to save money? I should get into the habit now!
Smeagol: Look, you needed that stuff. You didn't have jean capris.
Gollum: Yeah? WELL KIDS IN THIRD-WORLD COUNTRIES GET ALONG WITHOUT THEM JUST FINE.

Isn't it annoying how there are two sides to every darn coin? I argue with myself about pretty much everything. If I had to pick a thesis for my life, it would be 'find a happy medium'. In almost every respect, it's bad to be extreme. Faith is the only exception to this rule that comes to mind. Wouldn't it be so much easier if there were a rule for everything and my head would pick either Gollum or Smeagol and I could happily know that if I'm spending less than X dollars a month I'm okay?

Sadly, there is none. So I'll continue saving receipts and waiting until things go on sale and simultaneously learning to live a little and realizing that money isn't everything.

Yeesh. This life thing is rough.

3 comments:

Calminaiel said...

Don't worry, I'm also finding that I'm slipping into the habit of spending money on clothes. And when I'm not spending money on clothes, I'm thinking about how I would rather be out buying clothes. I've already had any thoughts about how I need a bigger closet. I've even considered trying to go for a better job so I can have more money to spend on clothes. Is this some kind of phase that I skipped in high school?

~Cal

Melda said...

See, my philosophy (adopted from my mother) is that if I don't have room in my closet, obviously I need to get rid of some clothes :P

I think it's because of having a regular source of income. When all the money I had was off babysitting, I was WAY more miserly.

tango said...

But clothes ARE important.
Have you ever looked at an old picture of yourself and you can remember the shirt? You can remember where you were when you wore it. You can remember what kind of life you were living.
Women are like that.