13 December 2008

The wish list

I actually think a wish list is a selfish concept. That's why I'm so reluctant to have one. I mean, think about it, Christmas is a time of year during which, ideally, we realize the value of giving vs receiving, and how spending time with the people you love is more important than the stuff you get.

That's not to say I don't enjoy the stuff. But a lot of the enjoyment I get out of the stuff is knowing that someone bought it especially for me, thinking of me. For example: Last Christmas my sister bought me a little mirror for my bathroom. It wasn't big or anything, or flashy, but I really appreciated it, because she'd noticed I didn't have one. This is the same reason I dislike giftcards - if you don't know someone well, they're acceptable, but buying a giftcard for a close friend seems to me like saying you weren't willing to put in the effort.

I don't think Christmas should be a way of getting what you want. I see no (hackneyed phrase!) 'Christmas spirit' in just asking for all the things you'd like to have and then getting them. That's not what it's about. I enjoy the things I get, but they should not be the be-all and end-all of Christmas. It's bigger than that.

...and also, if anyone wanted a wish list, you're on your own. If you're stuck, I like chocolate.


"When life breaks your yolks - make scrambled eggs instead!"

No comments: