11 September 2009

September 11

I like to avoid the peace symbol. On bags, t-shirts, whatever. (Though to be entirely fair, I have a pair of boots that have some cross between a peace sign and a heart on them as a pattern.) It's not that I'm anti-peace. It's more that I am not pro-peace-at-all-costs.

Pacifism would be okay if the world was perfect. It's not. It's all very well to be committed to peace personally, but if the guy on the other side isn't, all your commitment to peace is going to get you is a black eye and some missing teeth.

I support America in continuing to fight a war against the terrorists who gave it a lot more than a black eye on September 11, 2001. I support a war that protects freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and justice.

I'm not pro-war. But I believe that there are things in this world that are worth fighting for. So did every American and Canadian soldier that has died so far, protecting their country and believing that every human being deserves the same rights we are blessed with. They died because they believed that. I don't know if I would have the same courage.

I stand behind the soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq - may their courage prevent September 11 from happening again, and may Americans (and Canadians) never surrender freedom because they want peace.

1 comment:

Lenya said...

I feel the same way, and it really means a lot to me for you to post this. (It sounds cheesy, but it's true.) Thank you!