15 January 2008

Heh...oops

Um, yes, it's been a while since I posted. And I don't really have an excuse, other than the feeble and overused one that you guys probably aren't interested in the trivialities of my personal life. Anyway...

Not much has gone on lately, just life as usual kinda thing. School is a lot easier to get done efficiently now that I have my laptop, which is really nice, and means I have more time left for hardcore quizzing. The quiz meet's coming up this Friday and Saturday, and even though it's a Regional one and therefore supposedly easier (though I don't think it really makes much of a difference in Div A) I'm kinda nervous to keep my stats high enough to make it to Great West in April, so I'm studying quite a bit.

I've really been meaning to write more now that I have the laptop and it's easier, but somehow it hasn't been happening lately - so guys, bug me to do that and actually write down the giant tangle of story in my head. I did send off a finished short one (3000 words) called Honor Bound and starring Raign, who is a bit of a newer character of mine, to New York for the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. I have pretty much no expectations of winning anything, cause there are some amazing writers out there and I know I can improve a lot, but you'll never know if you don't try, right? The beginnings of a long story involving Raign are spinning themselves out in my head, so I need to get those organized somehow.(By the way, I can send Honor Bound to anybody who wants to read it and critique. Critiquing = good.)

Uh...let's see...I've been reading some interesting stuff lately, Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum, and currently affectionately rereading Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey. Doomsday Book was okay. It's about a young woman in 2052 who goes back in time to 1348, for scientific purposes, and happens to run smack dab into the Black Plague hitting England. I liked the characters and I thought the plot built itself very well, but the plot resolution had problems. I like happy endings, thank you very much. The Bourne Identity is kinda intriguing, cause I don't read that type of novel much. The romance isn't really up my alley, but it's suspenseful. And I've always loved the Harper Hall trilogy. (Dragonsinger and Dragondrums come after Dragonsong.)

And that would be my life in a nutshell. Fascinating. Except not. But that's okay :)

~Sil

"See? I could totally do quizzing!"
"I need to send you a video of me quizzing sometime."
"...thanks, I like my self-esteem where it is."

4 comments:

Juanita Stauffer said...

Amy,

I would be interested to read your story.

I agree with you about the Doomsday book - I was disappointed in the ending. However, Connie Willis is writing another book about time travel so I'm hoping maybe she'll tie up some loose ends. Either that or use the characters from To Say Nothing of the Dog.

Speaking of TSNOTD, have you read it? Much better for happy endings. :-)

Mrs. Stauffer, who doesn't think Josh & Emily have been doing hard-core quizzing study - maybe they'll tell me I'm wrong?

Melda said...

I'll ask my mom to email it to you :) Tell me what you think - comments are ALWAYS appreciated.

Hmmm, I'll have to check that out. And no, I haven't read To Say Nothing Of The Dog, but according to Josh and now you, I need to.

See you this weekend!

Inverted Frog said...

O_o I (seriously) never would have guessed that you would read The Bourne Identity. I've read The Bourne Supremacy, and that was fairly interesting.....but it's got nothing on High Fantasy. :P

Melda said...

Well, my friend lent it to me, so I figured I might as well. I probably wouldn't be reading it if he hadn't :P