03 January 2008

First post of the New Year

Which I am typing in my pyjamas, with my laptop on my lap. That must be somehow symbolic. Anyway.

So...getting ready to go back to school...which isn't exactly a thrilling thought, especially since I'm well aware that January/February are generally the most depressing months of the year (MY year, anyway) and seeing everybody else go back to school, too. People getting back to their insanely busy lives...a couple people going back to getting drowned in homework, which is maddening when they're three thousand million miles away and you ask if there's anything you can do to help and they're like "Unless you're an expert on American history in the 1850s, not really." The other thing that comes with the realization of going back to school is that I'm halfway through Grade 11. Meaning that in a year and a half, I will have graduated grade 12, and I'll almost be an adult. That's a scary thought, but not as scary as it was. The idea of getting a job used to scare me spitless, and I'm still a bit nervous, but I think I could do it now. And the idea of university. I mean, I've never gone to a public school. I have basically no idea how university would even work. Also, before I make that decision, I'd like to know for SURE what I want to do. I love to write and I want to write books, but is an English major worth all the saving I'd have to do? Maybe it's more worth my while to go after getting that book published.

Anyway, all that said (and I don't even really know where I was going with it) is that with school comes the onset of life, and I'm not as scared of life as I was. I've gotten a lot better at not worrying, and actually trusting God. What comes will come, whether I worry about it or not, and you know what? When that happens, I'll deal with it. But there's really no point in trying to deal with it now.

It's like the subject of dating, which I seem to have been discussing with a lot of people lately. Like, I turned sixteen this summer, and it sort of got me thinking how in actuality, sixteen is not very far from eighteen at all. And eighteen means I'll be an adult, which has got me thinking about all this dating and marriage stuff. Do I believe I'll get married? Absolutely. I don't think God would have given me the desire to be if I wasn't meant to. And somewhere out there, there's a guy (Prince Charming, if you will) that I'll get married to. I don't know who he is yet, but in time, I will. It's all a matter of time. So like I've said to various people - I'm taking it slow. No point in trying to hurry life along, it goes fast enough as it is. I might as well enjoy it where I'm at, and not try to jump ahead into what may come when I'm older. So dating? If the right guy came along, maybe. Right now, I can wait.

And those are kinda my ruminations for this post.

Over the holidays I played a bit more with graphics, and made some things I'm pretty proud of. A couple were Christmas presents for people, and a couple were for contests on A-U. So:
Probably one of my best yet, a desktop with the poem I wrote a while back. 'Twas a present for LDM.
A desktop of Anberlin, music group I happen to know zeh Inverted Frog likes, which was his present.
A smaller desktop with the theme of winter/snow/etc for an A-U contest.
A blend of shoes, for a different contest, of which the subject was 'random shoes'.

So those are cool. GIMP has a couple frustrating limitations, but those aren't half bad in my opinion. I can rival all you people with photoshop. Mwaha.

~Sil

[okay, okay...]
"You know your computer's slow when you keep your knitting by it."

3 comments:

Quizzing Nerd said...

Isn't it ever a confusing thing to try and figure out one's future? It's like charting a course without a map. But, I think you'll be fine. A job isn't really all that difficult or a big deal, in my experience. All people are really looking for in North America is someone who shows up on time and works hard, and I'm sure you'll do that. And university doesn't seem like a very scary place to me either. After all, it's filled with a bunch of people likely as worried (or more) as you are. And as for knowing for sure? That's pretty much impossible. As much as we like to plan out every single detail of the future, it rarely works out the way we've planned. We just have to trust that God will work it out - and he does, and usually better than we could have planned. :)

I have a very developed opinion on dating, which generally agrees with yours. Right now, you've got it just right - don't worry about it. I think that romance and dating before you're old enough to get married is like test driving a car before you're old enough to buy it. Kinda pointless, and you could end up hurting yourself by crashing it. :P Just stay out of it right now, because it's not going to make you any happier, and will likely just end up distracting from more important things.

And it's very impressive how quickly you've improved with your graphic-making. Those are great.

Quizzing Nerd said...

Oh, and, sorry for the double-comment, but, on the subject of universities, Taylor in Edmonton is doing a little program where you can come in and spend a day there for free, just to see what it's like; you'd get to sit in on classes, hang out with students, stay overnight in the residence if you like, eat free meals in the cafeteria, and just find out more about a university. It's on the 28th and 29th of February, and it's free, with no strings (that I can see) attached, and I just thought that it would be good experience even if you have no plans to attend there.

Linky:
http://www.taylor-edu.ca/documents/InsightWI08RegForm.pdf

Camille said...

The wonderful thing about being an Engish major is the opportunity too read and study and think about literature in a way you would probably not on your own.

College professors have their areas of expertise and can bring so much to your studies.

Whatever you end up studying will be part of the mix that makes up your own voice, writing style and creativity.