23 January 2007

Gobsmacked

gobsmacked |ˈgäbˌsmakt| adjective Brit., informal utterly astonished; astounded. DERIVATIVES gobsmacking |-ˌsmaki ng | adjective ORIGIN 1980s: from gob 1 + smack 1 , with reference to being shocked by a blow to the mouth, or to clapping a hand to one's mouth in astonishment.

Yes indeed, today's post is called 'Gobsmacked". One, because it's an awesome word, and two, because I heard it used last night. Actually, the person using it was quoting my dad. Cause really, it's pretty unique to him. Anyway, I was thinking about in the shower (sometimes you would not believe the things I think about in the shower) and then I came down to the computer to see what the actual definition was, and it was pretty close. I mean, if gob=mouth and we all know what 'smacked' means, it's pretty easy.

I think I probably spent about an hour yesterday obsessively making up Chapter/Chapter Verse Reference questions from Acts chapter 7. I now know that the word 'lived' only appears in that chapter once, there are eight possible 'your what' questions; and there's a good chance I'll hear a 'what father' question from that chapter sometime at the quiz meet. And it may in fact be a CVR/MA. Yup, I'm just a wealth of knowledge.

~Sil

5 comments:

Miliuel said...

I bet I can tell you where in that chapter the word lived is. Does it have to do something with Moses lived forty years, or am I completely off?

I love that! Gobsmacker... or however you spell it. =D

Melda said...

Actually no, I believe it's somewhere around verse three, um, how does it go..."Brothers and fathers, listen to me. The God of glory appeared to our ancestor Abraham while he was still in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran."

Or something. You know :)

~Sil

Anonymous said...

Ahem.

Acts 7:2 To this he replied: "Brothers and fathers, listen to me! The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham while he was still in Mesopotamia, before he *lived* in Haran.

:)

Josh

Melda said...

Know-it-all. At least I got most of the words right, if not the punctuation :P

~Sil

Anonymous said...

I wasn't being a know-it-all, I had to look that up. :D I just had to know where it was for myself, anyways.

I loved the post. That's an awesome word - but Mom and I can't figure out how it's supposed to be used in a sentence. Can you give us an example?

5 comments! That might be a record.

Josh