17 August 2010

T-Minus 19 Days

Today I reorganized and sorted through my clothes, including all jewelry, and cleaned out Drawer 1 of 5. (20% of quest completed.) Also awaiting purging are The Cupboards and the dreaded Back of Closet. (No, that wasn't what I did today. The clothes are in the other side of the closet.) A cursory count of all the books in my room comes out at roughly 100; I suspect this will need to be whittled down to a select few that I will use while at university. I don't anticipate having much space to store them.

I've seen a few checklists for university dorm rooms, and been skeptical of all of them. I need a handheld vacuum cleaner? Really? I'm not going to try and anticipate too much. Calgary has stores too; I'll buy whatever I need that I don't already have once I've actually seen my living space.

Other accomplishments in the university-prep vein: Bedding!


The duvet cover and one pillowcase (left) are dark, almost charcoal grey, from IKEA. My mom and I were browsing the bedding department and I kept saying, "This one feels really nice," and she kept saying, "Well, I think they're all the same material," and then we discovered that some had higher thread counts. So I got one of those. In contrast, my sheet set from HomeSense (right), containing one flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and a pillowcase, is patterned in black and white and pink and orange. We plan to find a throw blanket and throw pillows in bright pink and orange.

Also from Homesense:
Left, a bedside caddy, pictured here in use on my bed. It has Useful Pockets, many, and in addition, cost $2. (Though mommy bought it for me so I didn't even pay that.) Right, a laptop sleeve that made it through an eternity of humming and hawing by me, but ended up coming home. It is a tiny bit big, but I decided $20 for a slightly-too-large one was better than $45 or $50 for a precisely fitted Apple one. (I got so absorbed in the process of choosing one that I put down the IKEA duvet cover we'd brought for color matching and forgot it. Mom had to go back and retrieve it from HomeSense this morning.)

Stay tuned for tales of my university-prep purchases and navigations between Stuff I Need and Stuff I Don't.

[EDIT: ...Blogger's Preview page lied to me and the picture placement is a little messed up. Now I know how Robin McKinley frequently feels.]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, I could not find a way to private message you... but I am looking up people from the member list on the Arwen Undomiel forum to see who might be interested in coming back to the forum for a revival. If so log in to the forum and post and hopefully we can get somethign organized. Thanks!