18 November 2009

This is so ridiculous that I feel it needs to be shared.

Okay. So some background, first.

Today I'm at the downtown library, Stanley A Milner, for a course that supposedly relates to helping me do my job better. *cough*. So far my favorite part has been the website scavenger hunt that the Youth Services Librarian had us do to familiarize ourselves with the Kids section of the site. I pwned. For the rest of it, I've been a little zoned out.

Also what's boiling around in the back of my head right now is the craziness that is today. See, this is what's happening: I got to the bus transit centre at about 8:15 this morning (my dad dropped me off) and took an express bus downtown at 8:27(obsessively poring over a map of the route the whole way so that I'd know what stop to get off at) to be at the library for shortly before 9. Once I got here, I kinda paced the lobby a couple times smacking myself over the head for not remembering that I'm here for NINE o'clock and the library doesn't OPEN until TEN, so now I have to find a way to get to where I need to be. A few staircases and a helpful security lady later, I found the room, and proceeded to wander around looking for the seat that was marked for me, only to realize there wasn't one because you're supposed to make your own place tag.

I'm smart. Really.

Anyway, when I'm done here (which is actually at 4:15 not 5 like they said, so that's another 45 minutes to kill) I'm bussing to the mall where I'm meeting a friend and we're doing dinner/shopping, and then she's driving us to Segue. (Young adult Bible study.) So basically, I left the house at 8:15 am and I won't be home until 10-ish pm. Fun.

So after the name tag thing I got coffee and a muffin and sat down to listen to people talk. (I was also a rebellious teenager and texted a tiny bit while they were talking, and I have a feeling the one lady knew I was.)

Oh oh oh, and tangent. See, I've heard that when you go downtown it's good to dress up, so I was hyperventilating about dressing up and had this whole getup with a skirt (!) planned and then tried it on the night before and decided (with some help) that I looked ten years older than I was and that I was trying too hard.

So I left the house this morning in jeans (dark boot-cut jeans, mind you) and a short-sleeved blazer, and my comfy work shoes. Which are a bit fashionable, they're not runners, but they're not exactly business formal. So I already felt a bit like a rebel.

And now it's lunch, and here's where the ridiculous part comes in.

I have a book signed out. It's been hanging out in my purse. What I didn't know when I signed it out is that there are two ways to sign out a book: either you sign it out so that the sensors at the library exits won't beep when you take it out, or you sign it out so that they do. I'm pretty sure the sensors are going to beep.

So I happily take this book downtown, and because I got in by such a roundabout way coming here, there was never a sensor to go over. But I just about walked outside to go to Second Cup, and then came to the sinking realization that this book in my purse is going to beep, and what do I do?

And the reason it's ridiculous is because I'm too embarassed to go to the desk and say, "Um, I signed this out wrong, can you sign it out right so that I don't beep? K'thnx." And the options I'm currently considering are A) trying to leave the way I came in, sans sensors, or B) leaving the book here, where it'll be returned, and putting a hold on it again so that it'll come to my branch. (I checked the system - 4 copies available, no holds. Should come by, like, tomorrow.)

Oh, and I also thought of going to the self-checkout and checking it out a SECOND time, but the machine will probably get confused and, like, explode.

Normally I really like technology.

EDIT: I went to the desk and kinda stammered out my problem and she gave me a look and signed it out properly and I went on my way. Yay me.

No comments: