28 May 2009

Paper + ink = magic

Does anyone else find it minorly incredible that running your eyes over a piece of paper with black markings on it can be such an enjoyable pastime? I do.

On that note, have read/reading lately:

Victory of Eagles, Temeraire #5 (Naomi Novik) (✭✭✭✭/5)

Starclimber (Kenneth Oppel) [unfinished]

Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus (Orson Scott Card) [unfinished]

The Case Against Barack Obama: the Unlikely Rise and Unexamined Agenda of the Media's Favorite Candidate (David Freddoso) [unfinished]

Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy (Crawford Kilian) [unfinished]

To Say Nothing of the Dog (Connie Willis)(✭✭✭✭✭/5)

Also, I'm about to be reading Assassin's Apprentice (#1 of the Farseer Trilogy, Robin Hobb) and A Game of Thrones (#1 of A Song of Ice and Fire, George R. R. Martin). Does anyone else think that Mr. Martin purposely gave himself two R initials so he could be like J. R. R. Tolkien? I dunno, seems suspicious...

Recently watched movies: Twilight (but you know that - ✭); Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (✭✭✭✭ and ✭✭✭✭✭); as much of Earthsea as I could stomach, and that one doesn't even get half a star; The Lady and the Highwayman (with Hugh Grant. Hilarious in a very lame kind of way; I bet Mr Grant is so proud); School of Rock, far more entertaining than I anticipated (it only gets a ✭✭✭ because the slight plot holes kinda bugged me) ... and that's it. I also tried to watch Braveheart but the DVD spazzed.

Ooh, and music: Viva La Vida by Coldplay (and the mix with Love Story by Jon Schmidt was pretty cool), Burn Out Bright by Switchfoot, Live Out Loud by Steven Curtis Chapman, and Dawn from Pride and Prejudice. Also Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.

2 comments:

tango said...

Braveheart - haven't seen it for awhile, but I used to think it was an very good movie. But dark. Very dark. Not a lot of laughs but good production values.
I can't send email.
Tell Nancy we loved the $10,000 phone call joke. I am memorizing it for future tellings.

Lenya said...

I just started A Game of Thrones the other day - got as far as the obligatory prologue and the first chapter. I hadn't made the connection between the initials, but it is rather suspect. George R. R. Martin is a mouthful. Why not just George Martin, or George R. Martin? Anywho. I liked Braveheart. But then I also like just about anything Scottish :P