28 September 2007

Shadows Over Camelot

Okay, I am seriously SO psyched. Just got back from youth and playing this absolutely AMAZING board game called, as the title indicates, Shadows Over Camelot (clicky lick for info). It's up to seven players and it's collaborative, meaning that you all play together on one team against the forces of Evil, which aren't played by anyone except a traitor, if you choose to have one. So there are seven knights: King Arthur, Sir Gawain, Sir Galahad, Sir Percival, Sir Palomides, Sir Tristan, and Sir Kay (we played two games, and I was Percival the first time and Tristan the second time. You don't get to choose who you are, it's random). At the beginning of the game you pass out Loyalty cards, and there is a possibility that someone will get a Loyalty card that says Traitor. This means you're working WITH Evil, and you want to stab the other knights in the back. So the game starts out, and there are different quests that you use White Cards to complete, and Black Cards try to thwart you. There's...defeat the Black Knight jousting, defeat the Picts, defeat the Saxons (all three of which are ongoing), obtain Excalibur, obtain the Holy Grail, obtain Lancelot's Armor (all three of which give you a special item if you win them, which in turn gives you a special ability) and Defeat the Dragon. Every time you complete a quest you get a varied number of white swords, and every time you lose a quest you get a varied number of black swords. Seven out of twelve white swords win you the game, whereas seven out of twelve black swords loses you the game. We won the first time, but Evil prevailed the second time. It got so tense near the end!!! Four out the the seven of us playing actually ended up sacrificing themselves so that we wouldn't lose.

Yeah. Majorly hyper over here. I wonder how long till I settle down enough to go to sleep.

~Sil

"Arr. Bode thee well."

5 comments:

Quizzing Nerd said...

Wow, lol, that sounds awesome. I should check eBay to see if I can get my hands on that; or on something like LotR Risk or a Catan expansion or something equally awesome.

My "youth group" (quotations because only 2 of the 8 people there were under 18) had a board games night too, and I just got back so I'm hyper as well. Haha. We played this one with robots trying to escape from a factory - quite entertaing, and an old LotR teamwork game, which was fun. And others played LotR Risk, which I need to buy.

Calminaiel said...

That actually does sound quite fun. I'd like to try that game out sometime.

~Cal~

Inverted Frog said...

Hmm...sounds interesting. How long was the average game? After all, if it's short, it's not worth it. :P

Calminaiel said...

Oh, and I haven't been playing because I got my wisdom teeth out about two weeks ago. I thought I mentioned that on my blog at some point, but maybe I didn't.

~Cal~

Melda said...

We played two games, and we went just over three hours, so about an hour and a half per game. A good length. Not really short but not reeaalllly long, like Risk.

Ohhh, I think I might have known that at some point, cause I think I remember you mentioned wisdom teeth once...maybe...anyway...ouch :P

~Sil